Old July 26th 07, 10:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
CWO4 Dave Mann

Default outside loop

unstable wrote:
closest I can get you is a RC heli doing stuff like that. I dont think a
full sized heli can try it without having a boom strike .

--Unstable

"niceguy" wrote in news:46a8ae6a$0$4673
:

Is there a video of a helo doing an outside loop?

I am thinking that Army tried it with a test bed AH-64 at Edwards AFB
back about a long time ago. I heard that a guy tried it with an AH1 out
of the MACSOG field at Marble Mountain -- he was right over the bay at
Da Nang. The rotor impacted the tail rotor; autorotation into the bay
followed and eventually he went back to civilian life where he belonged.

This is anecdotal however, one of those stories that I remember hearing
in the club -- prefaced by "Now this is No ****".

YMMV

Dave

There are Old Pilots and Bold Pilots, but there are NO Old, Bold pilots.