Old August 10th 03, 09:57 PM

IIRC the Schneider cup rules specified all entrants HAD to be
seaplanes, so that's what were built. I don't think the Hughes racer
could have taken the record if pontoons had been built for it.
JR

What I meant is why couldn't Hughes build a land plane that would go
faster
than the fastest sea plane?

This question can be answered by considering the record holder, the
Macchi-Castoldi MC-72. This airplane was designed in 1931 for the
Schneider Cup. It has two Fiat V-12 engines in tandem. The
propellers are ground adjustable and are contra-rotating. This
airplane made one run of 447 mph. You can see this airplane at the
Italian Air Force Museum. Directions follow:
1. Go to Rome
2. Rent a car with your local U.S.A. driver's license.
3. Drive to Lake Bracciano, about fifty miles from Rome.
4. Go to the Italian Air Force Museum. They have abundant exhibits
and a nice snack bar. There is no charge for admission.
5. There are motels in the local region. They have a lot of foreign
visitors as there is an auto and motorcycle race track nearby.
6. A nearby town is Anguillara. It is incredibl;y beautiful and they
have high quality and low cost restaurants.
7. After Lake Bracciano, go to the town of Sutri and see the historic
amphitheater and Mitreo. Sutri is the home town of Pilate, the guy of
Jesus' trial.
jgraham