Old March 14th 04, 01:57 PM
Crispy3M

"Aircraft Mechanic in Tampa" wrote in message ...
The 196 is a superb unit. I bought the additional autokit and found it to be
dead nuts as far as roads, shores, etc. I agree that the basemaps may suck,
but if you want accuracy, then get accurate maps like City Select, etc... As
far as tossing it for an aviation only unit like the 295 (which I owned), I
would think that is akin to throwing out the baby with the bathwater. You
can also get updated and accurate Jeppesen charts for the 196 which will be
perfect for your use. I used my 196 for flying and other navigation
including using it for driving and NEVER had an issue with it at all. The
unit is great on power unlike the 295 which eats batteries like crazy. The
295 is also bulky and limited in it's uses. I think you will be downgrading
personally. FWIW.

Avi Zamites
PPSEL, A&P, GROL (RADAR)

Avi,

I think the difference may be between US and Canada.

I have been doing some inquiring on other aviation sites and most
agree that the 295 is a far superior product for aviation with the
Color Map. I know that you have had both and would be interested in
your thoughts.

Batteries and bulk not being an issue, I'm really only looking for the
best GPS for Aviation.

Regards,

Crispy3M