Old March 25th 05, 03:34 PM
CTR

But in the case of the US101 and VH92, both
aircraft are already supposedly developed

Note the emphasis I placed on "supposedly". The improvements you spoke
of have been in the works for both aircraft for years. They were added
by each company to their proposals to offer the best possible
performance. Based on what I have read, the 101 improvements are much
further along than the S-92. This was probably a factor in the
selection.

All DOD aircraft programs in my experience are over sold, under funded
and unrealistically scheduled. The Commanche if anything was better
off than most.

Look at the A-12. This Navy replacement for the A-6 was scheduled to
go from contract award to first flight of a "Production" aircraft in
less than 42 months! When it was cancelled three airfcraft were 10
months away from completion. It was the first major program to die
from fallout of the demise of the USSR. The Commanche just took
longer.

The Navy learned its lesson after the A-12 cancelation, and made sure
that the F-18E/F requirements were defined, no technology developement
was required and schedule was realistic. If they had not, there would
currently be a lot of aircraft carriers without any attack capability.

The Army is now doing the same with the ARH and LUH programs. They
cannot afford to make another mistake like the Commanche program
management did. OH-58's attrition in the Iraq and Afganistan won't
allow it. Advanced UAVs capable of performing the required missions
are a decade away at least. I predict who ever wins the ARH program,
it will be sucessful. We cannot afford it not to be.

I respect your support of Sikorsky. But if it had been a competion
between the V-22 and a US101 final assembled by Sikorsky, would you
still feel the same way?