Old March 28th 07, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roger[_4_]

Default The nail in the coffin: TIS and Mode-S

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 18:43:48 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, Mxsmanic said:
C J Campbell writes:

Are you sure that the FAA funds GPS satellites?

I don't believe the FAA contributes anything to GPS satellites. They do
contribute to WAAS, but there are no satellites in that.

Wanna bet?
http://gps.faa.gov/FAQ/index.htm
"These correction messages are then broadcast through communication
satellites to receivers onboard aircraft using the same frequency as GPS."

The only thing I found was slightly different. "These corrections
messages are then broadcast to receivers onboard the aircraft using
the frequency as the GPS". It said nothing about being broadcast
through communications satellites, or I missed it.

IF correction messages can be sent from local areas back to satellites
that would make they very vulnerable to tampering with the data.

But that's just the FAA, what do they know. Obviously you got better
information from your flight simulator manual.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com