Old July 17th 03, 09:55 PM
John T

"Grey Stone" wrote in message

I am thinking about getting my IFR rating. I have seen different
DVD/Video Training sets to get you ready for your IFR written. Does
anyone have any opinion on these? Are they a waste of time? Should I
just start doing my IFR and working on the written prep with an
instructor?

I used two training methods for the written test.

First, I ordered the King IFR CD course (this was just before Sporty's
started offering a DVD version). This was played on the PC and gave me a
test after every section - very similar to the Gleim books. I thought it
did a good job of prepping me for the test.

At almost the same time, I enrolled in an instrument ground course. As it
turned out, the ground course was based heavily on the use of Jeppesen
training videos. The instructor would show a (portion of a) tape and then
discuss what we'd seen and answer questions. The school required that you
pass their "final exam" with a score of 80 before signing you off to take
the FAA written.

Between those two, I easily passed the test.

I am very comfortable with computers and kinda preferred the interactive
CD-ROMs over a plain video with paper backup. The ability to instantly
review the section of video related to a question I answered incorrectly was
very nice.

At the same time, the interaction with a real live instructor and other
classmates was quite valuable, too, so it really boils down to personal
tastes and preferences. If you're comfortable with solo/self study, you
should do just fine with the DVD. Some people really don't do well in that
situation and prefer the "social setting" of an organized class.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/tknoFlyer