Old January 12th 04, 01:55 PM
Bart

My flight manual does not specifically state that removal is prohibited
or allowed. The FARS state which activities may be performed by a pilot,
and if I remember correctly they disallow alteration of a flight
control. I'm not 100% certain, but my interpretation would be that no
matter how easy it is to remove them or how common the practice of
it being done by a pilot, it legally requires an A&P.

Bart

Dr. J Dana Eckart wrote:
Interesting. My helicopter time is all in R-22s and the controls are
relatively easy to remove and as far as I know, can be done by the PIC.
[I haven't flown in quite some time.]

How common is it for aircraft with removable controls to require an A&P
to do the removal/installation?