Old July 24th 03, 04:03 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:19:46 GMT, Ryan Ferguson wrote:

Basically you can apply for Cat II authorization at Cat II runways with
'standard' avionics equipment (i.e. your normal GA spamcan) and a waiver
for Cat II authorization on Cat I approaches. FAR 91.193 is the reg that
states the FAA may grant authorization to 'small aircraft' for deviation
from 91.189, 91.191, and 91.205(f).

The FAA has granted authorization to both Part 91 and Part 125 operators to
use less than standard minimums on CAT I ILS's. A few years ago, when I
went through the CAT II authorization process in my Mooney, my recollection
was that this was not possible for my a/c. If I recall correctly, the
issue was that the various waivers were authorized to be issued for my
performance of CAT II approaches at CAT II runways. However, there was no
similar waiver authority to allow special CAT I minimums with the equipment
I had in my a/c.

The authorization and/or waiver only applies to a certain pilot in a
certain aircraft. There are some slightly different currency
requirements, and gaining the authorization/waiver requires a flight
check in the specific aircraft for which the authorization/waiver is
sought.

The flight check is done with a fed onboard and uses the instrument
rating PTS, but always includes at least a two-engine ILS to Cat II
minimums and a single-engine ILS with a single-engine missed approach.

Before you even go flying, the Fed's also do an inspection of the aircraft
to ensure that all the equipment requirements are met.

At least in a single engine a/c, the minimum required flight check consists
of only two approaches -- one to a full-stop; one to a missed approach with
a DH of 100' AGL. Of course, the FAA examiner is always looking at you for
attitude and general flying ability anyway. In a multi-engine approach,
there is a requirement to do a single engine missed approach with the
critical engine set at idle or zero thrust before reaching the middle
marker.

In addition, the standard for flying the approach is no more than 1/4 scale
deflection of either LOC or GP needles. That may be more rigorous than the
Instrument PTS, but I don't have that information handy.

I find the whole thing quite intriguing, really.

It was an interesting experience.