Old May 22nd 05, 02:14 PM
Matt Whiting

David Cartwright wrote:
"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

I was just reviewing the new Elmira One departure procedure. I think the
government has let GPS go to their heads. Unless I'm reading it
incorrectly, it specifies the initial heading out to TWO decimal places!
The procedure is pretty trivial as it basically says to fly runway heading
to 4000 feet, but it is specified as below, using R24 as an example:

Climb via heading 242.40 to 4000, thence...

I'm not bad on heading control, but no way I can fly 242.40, or even
242.4. I'm pretty happy if I can fly 241 - 243! :-)

Blimey, you're one of those advanced pilots I keep hearing about. I'm still
working on: "That way, over there, see?"

:-)

Well, I started out with N, E, S and W.
I then moved up to N, NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW.

:-)

It wasn't until I got my instrument rating that I REALLY thought about
flying a heading to the nearest degree or thereabouts. It isn't that
hard in smooth conditions once you learn to use trim correctly.
However, it is still pretty much impossible for me in turbulence. You
sort of average the heading you desire, but rarely can you hold within 2
degrees in the bumps.

However, this chart just made me laugh when I saw the headings they listed!

Matt