Old July 31st 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_1_]

Default Get Rid Of Warbirds At Oshkosh

I would support the elimination of the non-jet powered warbirds. Being
one of the (apparently) rare non-career GA pilots under 30, I certainly
can't relate to them at all.

I am interested in the jet-powered warbirds. Show me the latest and
greatest in technology, but planes from the 50s and before... please.
I can appreciate history, but to be honest, am not interested in
warbirds (or any plane, really) from my grandfather's era.

Show me an F-22, a Lancair IV-P, or an SR22. THAT's what gets me
excited! However, everyone has different tastes and I can appreciate
that some do enjoy the antique planes for some reason... just not me.

--Dan

Jim Macklin wrote:
I like warbirds, an airshow without warbirds is like no
airshow at all.

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
| I'm prejudiced. Of course I'm prejudiced. In 5000+
flight hours, I've
| never come as close to a midair as I did at Oshkosh 1999.
Oshkosh Tower:
| "BlueOnBlue Cessna, number three for runway 27. Ercoupe
put it on the
| numbers. Flight of three T6s, cross over runway 27, right
downwind for
| runway 27, caution the Cessna at the gravel pit."
|
| (Warbird flight leader) "OK fellers, let's show them what
a warbird arrival
| is like."
|
| The Cessna is looking, looking, and turns downwind. The
copilot screams,
| "Oh, my God " and the pilot turns hard left, only to see
two wings perhaps
| fifty feet below. Tower tells warbirds that they nearly
had a midair with a
b@$+@rd to get
| out of our way."
|
| I've about had it with the arrogant warbird *******s. The
only reason that
| there are warbirds at Oshkosh is that Pope Paul flew a
warbird and wanted to
| invite his cronies.
|
| Pope Paul is out to pasture. Nobody else at Oshkosh gets
gas money except
| the warbirds. Guess where the gas money is coming from?
Your inflated
| entry ticket prices. You are paying for those stupid
idiots to aggrandize
| World War II, which damned few of us can relate to.
|
| So this afternoon, one of the WWII warbird people who has
more money than