Old November 23rd 04, 07:17 PM
Peter R.

Default Just venting about my V35's annual/engine replacement

If there were ever a day where I was feeling low about aircraft
ownership, today would certainly be a candidate.

My V35 is in the beginning stages of an engine replacement and annual.
The rebuilt engine has yet to arrive (probably another two weeks out)
but the mechanics were able to start the annual and preparation for the
new engine. One of the first tasks was to pull the two-bladed prop and
ship it off to a prop company for evaluation.

When the mechanics pulled the prop, they discovered a 3-inch crack in
the spinner and two incorrectly-sized bolts used to bolt the prop to the
hub by some unscrupulous mechanic during the last prop overhaul, which
resulted in elongation of the bolt holes in the prop hub. Most likely
the prop hub is beyond tolerances and will need to be replaced. The
spinner will certainly need to be replaced given the size of the crack.

I am very thankful that this damage was discovered on the ground rather
than in the air in the form of some type of failure of the prop hub,
bolts, or spinner. But, this is appears to be a multi-thousand US
dollar surprise and the bulk of the work hasn't even started yet.

Just venting...

--
Peter