Old August 21st 04, 04:05 PM
frank may

I'd imagine that about 1/2 or so turbine ag planes have been
converted, maybe more. At least the ones I know of. Most of the
turbine AgCats I see have been converted. About 1/2 of the turbine Air
Tractors I see have been converted. OTOH, most of the turbine Thrushes
that I see are factory built, but they were doing that in the late
'70s. It's a lot cheaper to do a conversion to an airframe than to go
buy a new one.

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message ...
"frank may" wrote in message
om...
Off & on over the years since turbo prop cropdusters (more politely,
ag-aircraft) have been being converted from radial engines to PT-6 or
Garret power, I've wondered if anyone has converted an AT-6/SNJ to a
turbo prop. Surely some well-to-do (or just eccentric) type has at
least considered it. Anyone ever hear of or see one?

Hmmm. How many ag aircraft were *converted* to turbo power after aleady
being built as recip powered aircraft? I know that some of them have
undergone second production lives as turbo-powered aircraft, but has there
been any actual conversion of aircraf that were already flying?

Brooks