Old September 22nd 07, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
frank

Default help me remember a book about stealth aircraft and a fictional bomber called "Blackmagic"

How about "Black Rainbow"?

On Sep 21, 11:48 am, Scaler wrote:
this isn't much to go on I know, but maybe someone will remember this

I recall reading a book in the early to mid 1990s, it was about modern
military aircraft. This book was probably published in the late 80s
or the 90s, more likely the 90s. There was quite a bit about stealth
technology. the F-117 Nighthawk and B-2 stealth bomber was
described. maybe other stealth aircraft that were either rumored or
canceled.

The thing that really caught my eye was a description of a fictional ,
future bomber that (IIRC) they called "Blackmagic". it was a purly
made-up name, *not* a codename for a secret stealth plane, IIRC.
It was definitally *not* the Soviet / Russian Tu-160 Blackjack
bomber, nor was it the well-known fictional Megafortress (a
heavily modified B-52). It was also not any of the rumored classified
stealth attack aircraft or hypersonic spyplanes that have been the
subject of much discussion the past 15+ years. this fictional heavy
bomber was very advanced, yet semi conventional. From what I
remember, it looked like a stealthy version of the B-1B, but maybe
larger, and the illustration might have shown it flying low through a
canyon or between mountains or something like that. I might be wrong
but I want to say that I think I remember it had saw-toothed edges
near the engines. I strongly believe it was a variable geometry
bomber, but again it was neither the B-1B Lancer (or a derivative of
the B-1) or the Tu-160 Blackjack. I suppose if anything, it might
have been described one of the concepts for one of the B-3 bomber
proposals.

If this rings a bell, if anyone by some chance remembers the title of
the book, I'd most appreciate knowing what it was.

I've already done all the googling I can with every keywork I can
think of. I guess my best bet is to try various libraries and used
book stores to see if i run across it again.

but I thought I'd first run this across this group, thanks in advance.