Outside air temperature probe

Old November 6th 06, 08:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy[_1_]

Default Outside air temperature probe

I had a new windshield installed and don't want to drill a hole in the new
windshield for the old temperature probe. Is there a cheap alternative that
I won't have to drill the windshield to install?

Old November 6th 06, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel

In article ,
"dlevy" wrote:

I had a new windshield installed and don't want to drill a hole in the new
windshield for the old temperature probe. Is there a cheap alternative that
I won't have to drill the windshield to install?

The cheapest would be to mount it in a side window. For example,
cherokee owners mount the OAT probe in the little storm window.

An alternative is the Davtron M303.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old November 6th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

dlevy wrote:
I had a new windshield installed and don't want to drill a hole in the new
windshield for the old temperature probe. Is there a cheap alternative that
I won't have to drill the windshield to install?

On my Mooney I installed the remote temp probe in the pilot's air
eyeball air scoop, near your left knee. We then ran the wire behind the
panel to the EDM. It alarms at 0 C for icing.

-Robert

Old November 6th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

BTW: I once broke the windshield probe removing the plane cover. So I
was stuck in a remote area with a hole in the window I couldn't close.
So I flew it home. It was amazed that there was actually very little
air flowing through this open hole in the front of my windshield. I
guess most of the air runs up the window and doesn't want to make the
turn to enter the cabin.

Old November 6th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

I've got the Davetron installed on the Aztec. We're happy with it and it's
surprisingly accurate.
Jim

Old November 7th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

Robert M. Gary wrote:

BTW: I once broke the windshield probe removing the plane cover.

I noticed a small crack starting from the probe about 2 years ago. Looks
like we stressed the WS when pulling off the cover. I really HATE to
stop drill it. It appears to be stable and not moving, so I may just
leave it alone and see what happens.

Mike
Old November 7th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
zatatime

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:40:19 GMT, Mike Spera
wrote:

I noticed a small crack starting from the probe about 2 years ago. Looks
like we stressed the WS when pulling off the cover. I really HATE to
stop drill it. It appears to be stable and not moving, so I may just
leave it alone and see what happens.

Mike

I had a similar issue except it was caused when I bumped it (very
lightly) when removing snow in below zero temps. My mechanic had some
very large flat washers and I drilled out the center and put one on it
(maybe one on the inside and outside, I'd have to check). Since then,
no more problems and no running cracks.

HTH.
Old November 7th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy[_1_]

Thanks. That sounds perfect!

Did you run the wire through the vent to the outside?

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old November 7th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
dlevy[_1_]

Old November 7th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Robert M. Gary wrote:
dlevy wrote:

I had a new windshield installed and don't want to drill a hole in the new
windshield for the old temperature probe. Is there a cheap alternative that
I won't have to drill the windshield to install?

On my Mooney I installed the remote temp probe in the pilot's air
eyeball air scoop, near your left knee. We then ran the wire behind the
panel to the EDM. It alarms at 0 C for icing.

You might want to set that a little higher, like +5 or so. Yesterday we
had moderate rime here between 11,000 and 14,000, temp was +4.