CAP T182T Crash on Nov. 8

Old January 23rd 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gwengler

Default CAP T182T Crash on Nov. 8

For whatever it's worth, I located the crash site from the coordinates
given in the NTSB preliminary. The North Town One Departure from KVGT
from where the airplane left calls for an overflight of the LAS VOR.
The crash site is only half a mile from the direct course from LAS to
L00, the airplane's destination. I know the did not file an IFR
flight plan, and I have no idea about the actual route of flight;
however, I found this an interesting coincidence.
Gerd
Old January 23rd 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 23, 7:02*am, gwengler wrote:
For whatever it's worth, I located the crash site from the coordinates
given in the NTSB preliminary. *The North Town One Departure from KVGT
from where the airplane left calls for an overflight of the LAS VOR.
The crash site is only half a mile from the direct course from LAS to
L00, the airplane's destination. *I know the did not file an IFR
flight plan, and I have no idea about the actual route of flight;
however, I found this an interesting coincidence.
Gerd

Ed Lewis was one of the most experienced pilots I know. He was a test
pilot for NASA, a former combat fighter pilot, an RV owner and a good
guy.

-Robert
Old January 24th 08, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Agreed... Robert.. the CAP mishap aircraft was on a VFR flight plan that had
been activated. I do not believe he was in contact with ATC at the time and
it is not listed in the preliminary report.

There was confusion in the local papers with the other aircraft mishap in
the same area on the same day. You will note that the accident time of the
CAP aircraft and the loss of communication with ATC on the Beech A36 are
within 7 minutes.. and both aircraft would have been within visual sighting
of each other.

BT

Old January 24th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Ed Lewis was one of the most experienced pilots I know. He was a test
pilot for NASA, a former combat fighter pilot, an RV owner and a good
guy.

Still they take off on a night VFR flight into mountainous terrain.

Ron Lee
Old January 24th 08, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

"Ron Lee" wrote in message
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:
Ed Lewis was one of the most experienced pilots I know. He was a test
pilot for NASA, a former combat fighter pilot, an RV owner and a good
guy.

Still they take off on a night VFR flight into mountainous terrain.

Ron Lee

Night VFR on the LAS to LAX route is done all the time. There may have been
other issues on the aircraft that we will never know about. Two pilots, very
experienced with mountain flying, with a Garmin 1000 Nav system that shows
terrain.

BT

Old January 24th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 23, 6:14*pm, (Ron Lee) wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Ed Lewis was one of the most experienced pilots I know. He was a test
pilot for NASA, a former combat fighter pilot, an RV owner and a good
guy.

Still they take off on a night VFR flight into mountainous terrain. *

Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and judegement
than you or I, that are flying one of the most technically advanced GA
aircraft on the market can get into trouble, the rest of us should
take a moment to pause.

-Robert

Old January 24th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 24, 10:19 am, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and judegement
than you or I, that are flying one of the most technically advanced GA
aircraft on the market can get into trouble, the rest of us should
take a moment to pause.

-Robert

The G1000 equipped 182 may be technically advanced, but I'm not a big
fan of the backup instrument layout and the lack of an electrically-
driven turn coordinator.

If the screen goes dark (which it does with apparent regularity) at
night or in IMC, you're in a world of hurt, experienced or not.

Dan

Old January 24th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Lee[_2_]

Ed Lewis was one of the most experienced pilots I know. He was a test
pilot for NASA, a former combat fighter pilot, an RV owner and a good
guy.

Still they take off on a night VFR flight into mountainous terrain. =A0

Correct. So if two pilots who have far superior skill and judegement
than you or I, that are flying one of the most technically advanced GA
aircraft on the market can get into trouble, the rest of us should
take a moment to pause.

-Robert

I have no need to pause. I don't fly in the mountains at night.
Experience means little when poor judgment takes over. Remember the
famous guy who died flying into a thunderstorm not long ago? What
good did his "experience" do?

The vast majority of aircraft accidents/fatalities are due to poor
judgment/pilot error. Read the Nall report. One would have odds in
his favor assuming that it is the causal factor in this accident as
well.

People would do a far greater service to pilots by pointing out
stupidity, encouraging the development of better piloting decision
making than saying "If someone as awesome as him died, what can I
possibly do?"

Ron Lee
Old January 24th 08, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

wrote:

If the screen goes dark (which it does with apparent regularity)

Really? On what do you base that assertion?

I'm in regular contact with a lot of G1000 users and I haven't heard of its
happening once.

There was a recall on AHRS77 units manufactured on or after May 1, 2007; is
that what you are referring to?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old January 24th 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jan 24, 11:28 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
wrote:
If the screen goes dark (which it does with apparent regularity)

Really? On what do you base that assertion?

I'm in regular contact with a lot of G1000 users and I haven't heard of its
happening once.

There was a recall on AHRS77 units manufactured on or after May 1, 2007; is
that what you are referring to?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

My experience is limited to one G1000-equipped C182, but the (albeit
anecdotal) evidence is that airplane has gone dark on several
occasions.

My only (minor) complaint about the G100 C182 system is that it lacks
an electric turn coordinator, which is the cheapest bit of redundancy
one can ask for.

Dan