Jettisonable helicopter cockpit doors?

Old July 17th 10, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J[_2_]

Default Jettisonable helicopter cockpit doors?

Hi. An ignorant civilian here with a question. I've never been in or
near a helicopter.

The May 2010 USNI Proceedings (pg. 78) mentions that "[t]he Navy's
H-72A's have several specific equipment additions, including
jettisonable cockpit doors...." I can understand jet fighters have
jettisonable cockpit canopies but I'm having trouble imagining
circumstances in which a helicopter would need to have jettisonable
cockpit doors. Can someone please clue me in?

Thansk . . . J
Old July 17th 10, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Dave Kearton[_3_]

"J" wrote in message
Hi. An ignorant civilian here with a question. I've never been in or
near a helicopter.

Same here

The May 2010 USNI Proceedings (pg. 78) mentions that "[t]he Navy's
H-72A's have several specific equipment additions, including
jettisonable cockpit doors...." I can understand jet fighters have
jettisonable cockpit canopies but I'm having trouble imagining
circumstances in which a helicopter would need to have jettisonable
cockpit doors. Can someone please clue me in?

Thansk . . . J

If you're planning an emergency landing in water, is the first thing that
springs to mind.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old July 17th 10, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:05:22 -0700 (PDT), J
wrote:

Hi. An ignorant civilian here with a question. I've never been in or
near a helicopter.

The May 2010 USNI Proceedings (pg. 78) mentions that "[t]he Navy's
H-72A's have several specific equipment additions, including
jettisonable cockpit doors...." I can understand jet fighters have
jettisonable cockpit canopies but I'm having trouble imagining
circumstances in which a helicopter would need to have jettisonable
cockpit doors. Can someone please clue me in?

Thansk . . . J

When I was aboard INTREPID one of our helo squadron, HS-11, pui one
into the water. The co-pilot was a buddy of mine, know affectionately
as "Dirty John" (he had a date with every single woman in RI...once
:-) ).

I was watching the PLAT when it happened. The helo went in upright
and immediately flipped inverted. The sponson floatation bags
inflated as advertised. He said that he waited 'till the bubbles
cleared (just like in the Dilber Dunker), disconnected his head set,
released his harness, and pulled the door jetteson handle. Nothing
happened. He pulled harder, and nothing happened. Then he pulled as
hard as he could. Nothing happend. At that point he got worried.
Then he membered that the main door was open so he swam back through
the fuselage and went out that way. He said if the floatation bags
had not worked he would probably not have made it.

So, yes, the ability to jetteson the doors is important.
Old July 17th 10, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I have to correct myself: the H-3 did not have a "door jetteson
handle" in the cockpit it had a "window jetteson handle." Served the
same function as a crew escape route.
Old July 18th 10, 06:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
J[_2_]

On Jul 17, 5:24*am, Bill Kambic wrote:

, the ability to jetteson the doors is important.

Bill,

Thanks for the clue. I get it now. I appreciate your time and effort.

Cheers . . . .Jeff
Old July 18th 10, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Bill Kambic[_2_]

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 22:58:33 -0700 (PDT), J
wrote:

On Jul 17, 5:24*am, Bill Kambic wrote:

, the ability to jetteson the doors is important.

Bill,

Thanks for the clue. I get it now. I appreciate your time and effort.

Cheers . . . .Jeff

De nada!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 18th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
frank

wrote:

[...]

Makes more sense than the helo ejection seat.

Seems when you have a sinking helo the more holes in the fuselage for
egress the better.

I see to recall the ejection seat had some sequence of blowing the
rotors, then the canopy then going out that way. Funny none of the
parachute test guys (all enlisted for some reason) ever wanted to try
the system, I think it got as far as a mockup. Then died, might have
been an Army only or joint Army / AF project.

Parachute test guys always made sure a dummy went first. Then they'd
do it for real.

Unlike the test pilots, of course they were all officers and
engineers, do the 'it works trust us' they would fly anything.

There's a moral somewhere...
Old July 19th 10, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Keith Willshaw[_5_]

"J" wrote in message
Hi. An ignorant civilian here with a question. I've never been in or
near a helicopter.

The May 2010 USNI Proceedings (pg. 78) mentions that "[t]he Navy's
H-72A's have several specific equipment additions, including
jettisonable cockpit doors...." I can understand jet fighters have
jettisonable cockpit canopies but I'm having trouble imagining
circumstances in which a helicopter would need to have jettisonable
cockpit doors. Can someone please clue me in?

Thansk . . . J

Helicopters in civilian use have jettisonable exits , you
have to go through a training course including an
underwater escape in a tank to qualify for offshore
work.

Most choppers quickly roll upside down on ditching
so getting out the way you came in is not an option.

Keith