Engine analyzer.

Old November 23rd 04, 09:56 PM
R.T.

Default Engine analyzer.

I am considering installing an engine analyzer/monitor on my 67 skylane with
a Continental 0-470....opinions options thoughts..................

Old November 23rd 04, 11:34 PM
Doodybutch

Engine analyzers are becoming more and more popular. They give you the
cylinder head temperatures and the exhaust gas temperatures for all your
cylinders.

That said, there is no real evidence they prevent engine failure or prolong
TBO, despite the many testimonials to the contrary. This is probably
especially true of a cool running engine like the carbureted O-470 in a
Skylane - there is little you can do except adjust the mixture.

I wouldn't bother with the expense. Just my opinion.

DB

Old November 24th 04, 05:40 AM
Doug

I would highly recommend them. They really help in saving fuel and
give you indications of what is wrong (high egt's when one mag quits,
wrong egts and cht's if timing is off by a lot, (like when the
mechanic screws up the timing due to his faulty buzz box)), stuck
valves, bad spark plugs etc. They tell you a LOT and help you lean to
max economy or max power. If the 6 cylinder jobs are too expensive a,
one cylinder unit is better than nothing.

I wouldn't own a plane without one.

Old November 24th 04, 06:48 AM
tony roberts

I own an EI analyzer.
Highly recommended and the best investment you will make in your
aircraft.

For more info, look up engine analyzer in Cessna Owner Organization.
Check out Walter Atkinsons comments - he really does know what he is
talking about.

Tony
C-
GICE

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 24th 04, 03:29 PM
Jay Honeck

We've got the JPI EDM-700 on our Lycoming O-540, and love it.

In fact, I'm in the middle of diagnosing an engine problem that the JPI has
made much simpler to correct. The #2 cylinder is not always firing, but
only when set to the left mag.

Our ONLY indication of trouble was when the bar graph shot up to 1650
degrees (EGT), and the CHT dropped to 200. The engine never changed sound,
or missed a beat. (Well, until we turned the mags to "left" instead of
"both".)

Without the JPI, we wouldn't have known we had a problem.

Which is why I bought the thing in the first place! In my opinion, it has
paid for itself.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Newps

Jay Honeck wrote:

We've got the JPI EDM-700 on our Lycoming O-540, and love it.

In fact, I'm in the middle of diagnosing an engine problem that the JPI has
made much simpler to correct. The #2 cylinder is not always firing, but
only when set to the left mag.

Our ONLY indication of trouble was when the bar graph shot up to 1650
degrees (EGT), and the CHT dropped to 200. The engine never changed sound,
or missed a beat. (Well, until we turned the mags to "left" instead of
"both".)

Without the JPI, we wouldn't have known we had a problem.

Which is why I bought the thing in the first place! In my opinion, it has
paid for itself.

And if it turns out that the plug was fouled the analyzer didn't do
anything but make you nervous.
Old November 24th 04, 09:38 PM
Jay Honeck

Which is why I bought the thing in the first place! In my opinion, it
has paid for itself.

And if it turns out that the plug was fouled the analyzer didn't do
anything but make you nervous.

True. But if it was something really bad, the JPI made it apparent long
before I could have detected it "by ear".

Which, in aviation, means I had time enough to get it back on the ground.
Personally, I like the idea of trouble-shooting on terra firma.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 24th 04, 09:57 PM
Ray Andraka

My A&P was of that school, told me I was wasting my money when I put in a JPI
EDM700. Wouldn't you know it, the JPI paid for itself when I had a rough
engine problem a month later. Turned out to be a card that wasn't atomizing
the fuel, but we could see exactly what the engine was doing. We would have
probably spent several times the labor hours chasing that without the
analyzer. He now recommends analyzers to his customers.

You are right, when everything is working perfectly, the analyzer is little
more than a box with blinkin lights. When the engine gets rough or worse
though, you have an immediate indication on where to look, and the response
gives narrows down the possible causes pretty quickly, before the cowl is even
opened and before the A&P punches the time clock.

Doodybutch wrote:

Engine analyzers are becoming more and more popular. They give you the
cylinder head temperatures and the exhaust gas temperatures for all your
cylinders.

That said, there is no real evidence they prevent engine failure or prolong
TBO, despite the many testimonials to the contrary. This is probably
especially true of a cool running engine like the carbureted O-470 in a
Skylane - there is little you can do except adjust the mixture.

I wouldn't bother with the expense. Just my opinion.

DB

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old November 24th 04, 11:27 PM

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 13:12:28 -0700, Newps wrote:

I also have one in my 67 182. Nice blinkin' lights but I wouldn't do it
again.

I've spent a lot more time installing and maintaining (troubleshooting
and repairing faults where the owner was convinced he/she had a
serious engine problem) "graphic engine monitors" than I have using
an engine monitor to help diagnose a problem.

The only instance I've ever had on the shop floor where a problem was
identified by an engine monitor in-flight was an engine that spit out
the pipe plug in the alternate position for the fuel injector nozzle.

I've installed a bunch of digital TIT and multi-point EGT systems
(with a selector switch), and overall have had good luck with them. A
little bit of common sense and an accurate digital EGT works quite
well.

TC