Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump

Old December 15th 04, 05:24 PM
Fastglasair

Default Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump

I am curious of opinions out there. I currently have a wet Vacuum pump on my
Glasair I-RG. I am considering adding an M-20 vacuum pump oil separator just
for the vacuum pump since I also have a Christen inverted oil system separator
which takes care of the Crankcase breather. I am also considering changing to a
dry vacuum pump. I am tired of loosing a quart every 4-5 hours and oil mess on
the belly. What should I do? I do plan to use the plane for some hard IFR, I
will be working on getting my instrument rating this winter. Will the M-20
catch 90% or what percentage. Anyone out there using this M-20 model 600WP unit
for vacuum? at $360.00 I don't want to be disappointed.
Old December 16th 04, 03:07 AM

If you already have a wet pump (robust vanes, 2000 hr life?), I can't
imagine why you want to switch to a dry pump with average MTBF of 400
hours. I don't know how good the M20 is - Airwolf is another separator
that appears to have a little more robust design, but probably either
will work.

Old December 16th 04, 04:41 AM
Colin W Kingsbury

"Fastglasair" wrote in message

I am curious of opinions out there. I currently have a wet Vacuum pump on

my
the belly. What should I do? I do plan to use the plane for some hard IFR,

Keep the wet pump. If you fly real IFR you need to replace dry pumps every
500 hours. There's a lot of us out here with dry pumps who'd rather have
wet.

-cwk.

Old December 16th 04, 05:54 AM
Chuck

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 04:41:59 GMT, "Colin W Kingsbury"
wrote:

"Fastglasair" wrote in message

I am curious of opinions out there. I currently have a wet Vacuum pump on

my
the belly. What should I do? I do plan to use the plane for some hard IFR,

Keep the wet pump. If you fly real IFR you need to replace dry pumps every
500 hours. There's a lot of us out here with dry pumps who'd rather have
wet.

-cwk.

Got that right, I'd rather have a wet pump. Lets see - longer life,
fewer $ for replacements, more reliable... What's not to like? Some
oil on your belly?

Oh, but don't think that a dry pump will keep your belly clean. It
gets oily etiher way. Stick with the longer-life, more-reliable wet
pump and put in a seperator to catch more oil.

Good luck.

Chuck
N7398W

P.S. -- Lotsa planes loose a quart every 4 to 5 hours, even WITH a dry
pump!!! You should see what some of the training planes at a local
school eat up. What's the old joke about "Fill the oil and check the
gas"

Old December 16th 04, 06:01 PM

The commentators so far are referring to the excellent advantages of
the wet
pump for IFR.

Far as I know, none of the separators work very well with negative Gs.
I have
a wet pump and the Walker (airwolf now) and if I do a 0 G parabaloa, I
get oil all over the belly.

If you are doing both acro and ifr, the dry pump might be better.
Bill Hale Loveland CO

Old December 16th 04, 08:54 PM
Doug

One thing about oil seperators. They collect water. Water freezes. Then
they don't let the crankcase breathe at all. This is for some
installations, some are in a warm spot. Depends. Keep an eye on it.

Old December 17th 04, 11:46 PM
Helen Woods

From what I understand, not only does the wet pump last MUCH longer,
but when it dies, it dies gradually rather than going belly up while you
are in a cloud, on an NDB approach, one very dark night. I fly hard IFR
and would never give up my wet pump.

Helen

Wet vs Dry Vacuum Pump Fastglasair Home Built 1 December 15th 04 05:17 PM
Windmilling Prop & Vacuum Pump Matt Young Instrument Flight Rules 14 October 14th 04 08:08 PM
Backup vacuum pump system STC'ed for Cherokee 180 Chuck Owning 6 September 18th 04 02:30 PM
Wet Vacuum Pump smackey Owning 6 February 24th 04 07:03 PM
Battery and Vacuum pump PaulaJay1 Owning 3 January 16th 04 04:22 PM