Heater problem fixed!

Old December 17th 04, 01:32 PM
Denny

As Jay commented, Fat Albert is a 1957 Apache - fat and spoiled...

The Aztec I referred to is a D model, that came from a sheriff's
auction out of Texas... It was a drug seizure plane that occurred in a
hail of gunfire, so it was named, The Blue Shooter... It's heater
(Janitrol as I remember) worked well... So well, that on one dark and
steely cold morning, flying from Michigan to Florida in IFR conditions,
it kept overheating the brand new S-TEC 50 autopilot causing it to
silently and sneakily go off line at the most inconvenient moments...
The controllers at Greenville, South Carolina were convinced I was
snorting something... The Blue Shooter is currently hauling bank
checks across the North Sea, 6 nights a week...

Fat Albert's old Southwind worked, but did not handle bitter cold
adequately... The difference with this new C&D heater is night and
day... C&D has a PMA for the heater so no paperwork other than the
A&P's entry in the log is required... There was a bit of work even
though it is roughly the same size and clamped right into the ductwork,
the various parts are not in the same location around the can... One
blower was mounted on a shelf above it... The most work was for the new
switch and wiring harness... The old wiring was asbestos and cloth
cover, still serviceable, but not pretty or desireable, and the C&D
warranty requires the new switch with teflon wiring... At this point I
am happy as a clam in mud, with it... We will see how it fares over the
next few years... An interesting point is that the combustion air, fan
motor has a ram air flow switch which not only turns off the
electricity to the blower motor but also raises the brushes off the
commutator so they don't wear as the fan is rotated by the ram air...
They claim a 4,000 hour life rating on the combustion air, fan motor...

The annual is just completing, I will post a blow by blow on that in a
few days... Mucho $$ this year that Jay can relate to...

Denny

Old December 17th 04, 06:24 PM
nobody

Thanks for the detailed response, Denny. Good looking
Apache, by the way. I sent an inquiry to C&D and got
a prompt response this morning. Guess it is time to do some
troubleshooting on my end.

Ronnie

oups.com...

Old December 17th 04, 06:41 PM
Jim Burns

C&D has a lot of troubleshooting tips in their catalog. You can download it
from their website: aircraftheater.com

Jim

"nobody" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the detailed response, Denny. Good looking
Apache, by the way. I sent an inquiry to C&D and got
a prompt response this morning. Guess it is time to do some
troubleshooting on my end.

Ronnie

"Denny" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

---

Old December 17th 04, 06:49 PM
Jim Burns

Ronnie,
If you don't already have it, I could dig out the Southwind section of our
Aztec Service Manual and forward you the pages. It's pretty extensive and
contains troubleshooting charts.
Jim

"nobody" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the detailed response, Denny. Good looking
Apache, by the way. I sent an inquiry to C&D and got
a prompt response this morning. Guess it is time to do some
troubleshooting on my end.

Ronnie

oups.com...

Old December 17th 04, 10:38 PM
nobody

Thanks Jim. I already have the Aztec service manual and have
started reading the Southwind section.

Ronnie

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
Ronnie,
If you don't already have it, I could dig out the Southwind section of our
Aztec Service Manual and forward you the pages. It's pretty extensive and
contains troubleshooting charts.
Jim

"nobody" wrote in message
news
Thanks for the detailed response, Denny. Good looking
Apache, by the way. I sent an inquiry to C&D and got
a prompt response this morning. Guess it is time to do some
troubleshooting on my end.

Ronnie

oups.com...

GEM 1200 Problem Jim Kaufeld Owning 11 March 22nd 04 03:54 AM
A problem in the Military ? Nick Jade Military Aviation 54 March 15th 04 07:59 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Owning 77 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost Jon Woellhaf Instrument Flight Rules 6 November 28th 03 05:29 PM