Why are non precision approaches not lined up?

Old October 6th 05, 06:42 PM
Greg Farris

Default Why are non precision approaches not lined up?

The title just about says it - I've always wondered WHY many
non-precision approaches (not talking about LOC only here, but VOR,
VOR/DME, NDB etc) are not lined up with the runway heading. Sometimes it
looks as though the approach desginers have gone out of their way to
make sure the non-precision approach is just a few degrees off - as if
to say - "look stupid - this is not a precision approach . . ." But if
this were so, then we would have to wonder why SOME of these approaches
ARE lined up and straight-in. I'm surev there's a simple explanation
that will be pointed out here.

thanks,
G Faris

Old October 6th 05, 06:48 PM
paul kgyy

Many VORs are used for approaches to multiple airports (CGT for
example) - it would be a bit much to expect that every one will line up
perfectly. I'm surprised at how close they usually are.

Old October 6th 05, 07:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Greg Farris" wrote in message

The title just about says it - I've always wondered WHY many
non-precision approaches (not talking about LOC only here, but VOR,
VOR/DME, NDB etc) are not lined up with the runway heading. Sometimes it
looks as though the approach desginers have gone out of their way to
make sure the non-precision approach is just a few degrees off - as if
to say - "look stupid - this is not a precision approach . . ." But if
this were so, then we would have to wonder why SOME of these approaches
ARE lined up and straight-in. I'm surev there's a simple explanation
that will be pointed out here.

Because the navaid is not on the extended runway centerline.

Old October 6th 05, 08:07 PM
Brad Zeigler

"Greg Farris" wrote in message
The title just about says it - I've always wondered WHY many
non-precision approaches (not talking about LOC only here, but VOR,
VOR/DME, NDB etc) are not lined up with the runway heading. Sometimes it
looks as though the approach desginers have gone out of their way to
make sure the non-precision approach is just a few degrees off - as if
to say - "look stupid - this is not a precision approach . . ." But if
this were so, then we would have to wonder why SOME of these approaches
ARE lined up and straight-in. I'm surev there's a simple explanation
that will be pointed out here.

thanks,
G Faris

There are numerous reasons. Off field navaids often serve serveral roles in
both the enroute and approach environment for several airports. On field
navaids may not be straight in as the approach coarse must lead to the
runway, and unless the navaid is at the end of a runway, the course would
either be parallel to the extended centerline of the runway, or offset to
intersect with the runway or runway threshold. Finally, obstructions along
the approach path or missed approach may be a fact in offsetting the
approach course. Lastly, air traffic considerations may be a factor,
especially with smaller airports situated close to busy airports.

Old October 6th 05, 08:13 PM
Mark Hansen

On 10/6/2005 10:42, Greg Farris wrote:

The title just about says it - I've always wondered WHY many
non-precision approaches (not talking about LOC only here, but VOR,
VOR/DME, NDB etc) are not lined up with the runway heading. Sometimes it
looks as though the approach desginers have gone out of their way to
make sure the non-precision approach is just a few degrees off - as if
to say - "look stupid - this is not a precision approach . . ." But if
this were so, then we would have to wonder why SOME of these approaches
ARE lined up and straight-in. I'm surev there's a simple explanation
that will be pointed out here.

thanks,
G Faris

I can think of a couple reasons. First, as other have said, the VOR
will not always be lined-up with the runway.

Secondly, it may be that the approach path has to come in at an
angle to avoid something, like high terrain, housing communities,
etc. (so they may have placed the VOR off center to facilitate
that).

Also, you shouldn't think of the difference between precision and
non-precision approaches as being lined-up or not with the runway.

Precision approaches are those that provide vertical guidance. Non-
precision approaches do not. That's the difference.

The fact that the typical precision approach uses a localizer which
is lined up with the runway (because the antenna is situated at the
field) does not make the approach 'precision' - the fact that it
provides vertical guidance does.

Sacramento, CA
Old October 6th 05, 08:16 PM
John R. Copeland

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message =
ink.net...
=20
"Greg Farris" wrote in message=20

The title just about says it - I've always wondered WHY many
non-precision approaches (not talking about LOC only here, but VOR,
VOR/DME, NDB etc) are not lined up with the runway heading. Sometimes =

it
looks as though the approach desginers have gone out of their way to
make sure the non-precision approach is just a few degrees off - as =

if
to say - "look stupid - this is not a precision approach . . ." But =

if
this were so, then we would have to wonder why SOME of these =

approaches
ARE lined up and straight-in. I'm surev there's a simple explanation
that will be pointed out here.

=20
Because the navaid is not on the extended runway centerline.=20
=20

Furthermore, those alignments usually are not to the airport reference =
point,
but instead cross that centerline somewhere near the approach end of the =
runway,
just far enough out to turn and land if the runway environment comes =
into view.