Big News -- WAAS GPS is Operational for IFR

Old July 11th 03, 10:27 AM
Lockheed employee

Default Big News -- WAAS GPS is Operational for IFR

More gibberish and sensless unfounded babble.

On Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:22:38 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
news:669da89399b1403eaf276544232ee932@TeraNews. ..
This is big news --- WAAS GPS is oficially operational for IFR use:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...03-3-019x.html

However, it looks like the timeframe to get low IFR approach minimums will
be longer than originally anticipated. Also a prior post sugested it may
cost $1500 to update a Gamin 530, which means some people may choose not

upgrade... soon when getting into a rental or club plane with a GPS, there
may be not only IFR vs. VFR installations but also WAAS IFR instalations

complicate things further.

"For the near future, the "gold standard" for approach guidance remains an
instrument landing system (ILS). Ultimately though, in perhaps a decade's
time, WAAS has the potential to offer ILS-quality information to pilots in a
typical four-seat single-engine GA aircraft."

That will be right around the time L5 becomes available and WAAS is
obsolete.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Old July 11th 03, 05:10 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote:

"For the near future, the "gold standard" for approach guidance remains

an
instrument landing system (ILS). Ultimately though, in perhaps a

decade's
time, WAAS has the potential to offer ILS-quality information to pilots

in a
typical four-seat single-engine GA aircraft."

That will be right around the time L5 becomes available and WAAS is
obsolete.

If they use it to lower mins at ILS airports, perhaps. If they use it to

lower
the typical 800 mins on nonprecision GPS approaches, thats a different

story.

I am pleased FAA finally made a drop, but it is doubtful WAAS was necessary
to the change. A 3dB inprovement in accuracy is not enough to justify the
cost.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it seems to me that if WAAS is a

boondoggle,
so is LAAS. So that's gonna take longer, too.

WAAS is so much cheaper that you could have CAT IIIb everywhere for what has
alredy been spent on WAAS.

Old July 14th 03, 06:27 PM
Scott Moore

Speaking for myself, if you are not going to argue with facts, then you are
wasting our time.

--
For most men, true happiness can only be achieved with a woman.
Also for most men, true happiness can only be achieved without a woman.
Old July 14th 03, 06:47 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Moore" wrote in message
Speaking for myself, if you are not going to argue with facts, then you

are
wasting our time.

Just ignore the sock, Scott. At least this newsgroup can remain
professional.

Besides that, once we find out what "sole means" is in this version, we can
start all our GPS navigation discussions over, with other than a tuna
sandwich. I am very pleased that FAA made a WAAS drop.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Old July 15th 03, 03:21 AM
PlanetJ

Good news but the FAA will not admit the big problem with SatNAV. WAAS
really doesn't address the RFI/Jamming problem. Intentional and
non-intentional RFI and jamming is still a concern. GPS is still very
vulnerable too interference and jamming. The new more powerful satellites
don't go up until 2008. Look for VOR/ILS/DME to hang around another 10 years
or so.

"Richard Kaplan" wrote in message
This is big news --- WAAS GPS is oficially operational for IFR use:

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...03-3-019x.html

However, it looks like the timeframe to get low IFR approach minimums will
be longer than originally anticipated. Also a prior post sugested it may
cost $1500 to update a Gamin 530, which means some people may choose not

upgrade... soon when getting into a rental or club plane with a GPS, there
may be not only IFR vs. VFR installations but also WAAS IFR instalations

complicate things further.

--
Richard Kaplan, CFII

www.flyimc.com

Old July 15th 03, 11:46 AM
Bob Noel

In article , Scott Moore
wrote:

And yet another canard I find very tiring.....

you may find it tiring, but feel free to present some facts
backing up your apparent belief that GPS is immune to jamming.

Don't get me wrong, I know that GPS is very useful. But I'm not
blind to its weaknesses.

Old July 15th 03, 04:28 PM
C J Campbell

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
| In article , Scott Moore
| wrote:
|
| And yet another canard I find very tiring.....
|
| you may find it tiring, but feel free to present some facts
| backing up your apparent belief that GPS is immune to jamming.
|
| Don't get me wrong, I know that GPS is very useful. But I'm not
| blind to its weaknesses.

It would be interesting to see some data that show that GPS is frequently
compromised by unintentional jamming. If someone says that GPS jamming is a
problem, the burden of proof is on them to support that assertion.

Scott did not say that GPS is immune to jamming -- no radio navigational aid
is -- but only that the possibility seems way overemphasized. Face it: we
are not going back to 4-way radio ranges because some pilots still think
VORs are too unreliable.

Old July 16th 03, 09:27 AM
Scott Moore

Bob Noel wrote:

In article , Scott Moore
wrote:

And yet another canard I find very tiring.....

you may find it tiring, but feel free to present some facts
backing up your apparent belief that GPS is immune to jamming.

People here never seem to get tired of misrepresenting and distorting
my position on this (apparently it is too difficult to argue on a
factual basis).

I never claimed that GPS was immune to jamming. I have stated, and I stand
by it, that it is pointless to argue about GPS jamming if the other,
existing services can also be jammed.

But since nobody here has ever produced proof of either, this argument
is pointless, and I don't feel the need to start yet another mudslinging
contest yet again.

In the Iraq war, a GPS jammer was taken out with a GPS guided missile.
That speaks worlds about the GPS jamming issue.
Old July 16th 03, 12:08 PM
Bob Noel

In article , Scott Moore
wrote:

I never claimed that GPS was immune to jamming. I have stated, and I stand
by it, that it is pointless to argue about GPS jamming if the other,
existing services can also be jammed.

Then we'll just have to disagree. I'll stand by the fact that
GPS jamming can be achieved with much lower transmitted power
than for any of the other existing radio navaids. This is the relevant
point.

But since nobody here has ever produced proof of either

what? you've never seen any proof that GPS can jammed and
quite easily?

Why do you think that certain transmitted VHF frequencies
have to be checked during a GPS installation?

Is there anything on your aircraft that can jam any other existing
radio navaid?

--
Bob Noel