DME req'd on ILS (not ILS-DME) approach?

Old October 3rd 03, 06:08 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mike Granby" wrote in message

Is that so unusual? The ILS into CXY used to have ADF REQUIRED on the

plate,
even though you could easily fly it without such equipment if receiving
radar vectors. (The plate now says ADF or RADAR, but was only changed
recently.)

This plate does not say "DME REQUIRED".

Old October 3rd 03, 03:20 PM
Ray Andraka

Please see my not in the SLE LOC BC RWY13 thread regarding DME on ILS's. FAA
has an initiative to standardiae ILS approaches that has the effect of making
many of the existing ILS approaches DME required where they were not before.
It happened to Providence this summer. We used to have 2 ILSs that did not
require DME and one that did. Now every approach into Providence with the
exception of the VOR 5, VOR 34 and NDB 5 approaches requires DME or IFR GPS.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Old October 7th 03, 01:10 AM
Max T, CFI

Usually if DME or other facility is required, it's in the title, or in a note that appears in VERY large BOLD text
and says something like "ADF or RADAR is required" in the plan view. Neither appears on this chart.
If you use NOBBY as the IAF, you'll have no need for DME, as it's not required for the LOC MAP (timing
works just as well) and it's not required for the missed approach procedure.

My read is "if you use DME," you must receive the localizer simultaneously. It's possible that's so you positively
identify the localizer, and don't start to fly inbound too soon on a false sidelobe from the localizer antenna. Which
could
ruin your day.
Max T, MCFI

Don Faulkner wrote in message news
Hi folks. I've got a bit of a puzzle here.
First off, I'm a student pilot, so maybe I haven't gotten to this yet.

Take a look at the ILS 18 plate for Springdale, AR (ASG):
http://myairplane.com/databases/appr...l/ASG_ir18.pdf

First, note that the approach is "ILS RWY 18"
---
Next, read in the notes section:
Circling NA east of Rwy 18-36, inoperative table does not apply.
DME from RZC VORTAC
Simultaneous reception of I-ASG and RZC DME required.
---

So, the way I read this, DME is not required, since the approach is ILS
not ILS DME, but it is required since "simultaneous reception ... is
required."

I guess my real question is, "Is this approach authorized for an aircraft
without DME? And if not, why don't they call it ILS-DME?" but read on for
my thinking...

Old October 7th 03, 03:54 AM
Tim J

I agree - and to clarify, the original poster's quotation of the notes
section lacks the proper punctuation. All of those comments are independent
of each other.

There are DME arcs - if you use DME (and that is DME from VOR, not the
localizer) then you must also be able to receive the localizer as well.

As Max T pointed out, you can fly the approach without DME.