restarting instrument flying

Old November 11th 03, 12:19 AM
Matthew S. Whiting

Default restarting instrument flying

Has anyone here taken an extended hiatus from flying and then returned
to currency? I sold my airplane and quite flying 4.5 years ago to build
a house and for some other economic reasons. I'm about ready to
re-enter the flying world and know that a fair bit has changed since
1999. Any suggestions as to how best to get back up to proficiency?

Matt

Old November 11th 03, 01:13 AM
Teacherjh

Has anyone here taken an extended hiatus from flying and then returned
to currency?

This was covered about a year? ago here, google for the thread.

Any suggestions as to how best to get back up to proficiency?

Schedule some dual, don't expect it to all come back right away, start slowly
and with simple aircraft, do some short XC flights on good days to get back in
the swing and build your confidence up... and go from there. If you were
instrument rated, you might find that instrument currency takes even longer to
get back after a hiatus. Flight Simulator programs on the PC are helpful to
get your scan back and keep it sharp (and they are much cheaper to practice
procedures there than on the hobbs meter), but there's more to instrument
currency. Keeping all the balls in the air takes practice and that will just
take time to get back.

Ease back into it and don't let slow progress frustrate you. I was away for
ten years; it took it's toll but I got it back.

Jose

Old November 11th 03, 01:15 AM
Teacherjh

Oh.. one other thing. Don't get distracted by all the newfangled gizmos. Get
proficient on VOR/NDB/ILS stuff first, and only then tackle the mixed blessing
known as GPS.

Jose

Old November 11th 03, 05:21 AM
Tom S.

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message

Has anyone here taken an extended hiatus from flying and then returned
to currency? I sold my airplane and quite flying 4.5 years ago to build
a house and for some other economic reasons. I'm about ready to
re-enter the flying world and know that a fair bit has changed since
1999. Any suggestions as to how best to get back up to proficiency?

I recently returned after essentially a 14 year hiatus (1989 to 2003).

I started by retaking both private and instrument ground schools, then did
about 50 hours of dual in eight weeks. That prepared me to ride as CP in our
corporate aircraft (flown by the partners). That was last spring. In many
ways things are easier, but the airspace changes were the biggest change.
AIUI, when I have amassed 300 hours (in last 12 months) I will be qualified
on the corporate equipment under their insurance.

It probably won't be quite a shock in your case, being only four years out.
Only the motor and process thinking skills will need to be re-honed.

Welcome back!!

Old November 11th 03, 09:33 AM
Snowbird

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message ...
Has anyone here taken an extended hiatus from flying and then returned
to currency?

Not as long as yours, but months, yes, after surgery, and
then pretty much a year after the birth of my child. Basically
I was signed off for an instrument checkride 3x. Third time
was the charm but it was frustrating!

I dunno how much has changed really since 1999, unless you
live in the "DC Gulag" then your best bet is probably the
DC Pilots group for coping strategies. Call f***ing FSS
for a "standard briefing" and notams every time you fly in
case Bush has urgent national security issues like raising
money whilst cutting services in your home town.

In my case anyway, my knowledge of the procedures was still
pretty sharp but my flying just sucked. I had no scan left
each time. It was exactly analogous to taking up some physical
skill like TKD or judo after years off, where my mind remembered
I could break two boards with a kick over my head but my body
just couldn't do it.

What helped me? Drilling procedures including all the little
things one has to do and when (ident navaids, timer etc). The
more I drilled, the more brain cycles I had free for scanning.
Microsoft Flight Sim helped rebuild my scan, though if I were
better at using it would have helped me more. Simmer Gurl I
am not. Flying a lot with a mean instructor.

Did I mention drilling procedures and Microsoft Flight Sim?

Good luck!
Sydney
Old November 11th 03, 12:58 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Teacherjh wrote:
Has anyone here taken an extended hiatus from flying and then returned
to currency?

This was covered about a year? ago here, google for the thread.

Thanks, I'll search for it.

Matt

Old November 11th 03, 01:22 PM
Matthew S. Whiting

Snowbird wrote:
[...]

Flight sim isprobably a great idea for scan and procedures development.
I've never used it before. Any recommendations as to what hardware to
use for joystick, etc.? Christmas is just around the corner after all
.... :-)

I assume trying to use a keyboard and mouse, even if MS supports this,
would be insane.

Matt

Old November 11th 03, 02:19 PM
Dan Truesdell

If you fly a plane with a yoke, I would recommend the same. I have CH
Products yoke (along with Jepp's FlightPro) and find it great for
procedural and scan practice.

Matthew S. Whiting wrote:
Snowbird wrote:

[...]

... :-)

--
Remove "2PLANES" to reply.

Old November 11th 03, 08:17 PM
Snowbird

"Matthew S. Whiting" wrote in message ...

Flight sim is probably a great idea for scan and procedures development.
I've never used it before. Any recommendations as to what hardware to
use for joystick, etc.? Christmas is just around the corner after all
... :-)

Matthew, I'm not really the right person to ask since I'm not
"Simmer Gurl", but FWIW we have a CH Products Flightsim yoke and
rudder pedals. They seem to be OK. I keep the yoke well lubed
up with silicon. I have a file of suggestions for settings someone
shared w/ me which made a significant difference. I can email
them if you like.

Another significant difference was a plane with a more realistic
flight model than the MSFS defaults. There are several available
for free and perhaps if you speak your pref (high or low wing) someone
will speak up. Perhaps FS2004 is better in this regard, I don't know.
Haven't gone there yet.

Another way we've gone is playing with X-Plane. Haven't played
enough but to say that it seems as advertised: less eye-candy and
better flight model, but more computer expertise needed to set it
up and get it working.

Anyway, I make a point of flying the full approach or from a
published transition but with the same checklists or procedures
I use in the plane. It helps.

FWIW,
Sydney
Old November 12th 03, 07:32 AM
Bill Padley

Guys

you may wish to check this out
http://www.projectmagenta.com/products/ifrpanel.html

Its SUPERB as an addon to FS2004 ..the gauges are as smooth as the real
thing..its an IFR panel only , and the gauges are also pretty much life
size..HIGHLY recommended for IFR currency ....currently in Piper and Cessna
format
Its particularly good running on a second pc or monitor with FS on the first

Cheers

Bill Padley
London