A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Instrument Flight Rules
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 25th 03, 05:50 PM
Jon Woellhaf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Garmin fixes moving waypoint problem -- almost

Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
present in many of their GPSs.

I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I noticed
today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing to
detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and update
all routes and goto history with the new data."

I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40 actually
pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed today.

The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and appears
to point to the correct update.

Jon


  #2  
Old November 25th 03, 07:11 PM
Dave Butler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
present in many of their GPSs.

I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I noticed
today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing to
detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and update
all routes and goto history with the new data."

I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40 actually
pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed today.

The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and appears
to point to the correct update.


Cool, Jon, thanks for the notification! This newsgroup can take a lot of the
credit for getting this fixed. John Bell picked up my report on the newsgroup
and documented it in a way that Garmin couldn't ignore. Thanks to all who
contributed to this effort!

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.


  #3  
Old November 25th 03, 10:05 PM
Jon Woellhaf
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The link to the version 2.40 update for the GPSMAP 295 now works properly.

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
news:0EMwb.303206$Tr4.959505@attbi_s03...
Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
present in many of their GPSs.

I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I

noticed
today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing

to
detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and

update
all routes and goto history with the new data."

I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40

actually
pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed

today.

The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and

appears
to point to the correct update.

Jon




  #4  
Old November 26th 03, 02:04 AM
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Kudos to all of you!

Dave Butler wrote:

Jon Woellhaf wrote:
Last month, Dave Butler wrote about a problem caused by the relocation of
the SAV VOR. He has a Garmin GPSMAP 196, but this problem is probably
present in many of their GPSs.

I have a GPSMAP 295 and suspected it might have the same problem. I noticed
today that Garmin has added version 2.40 to their downloads page. The
description of the change from ver 2.30 to 2.40 reads, "Added processing to
detect the movement or deletion of any aviation database waypoint and update
all routes and goto history with the new data."

I attempted to download 2.40 but the link took me to 2.30. I called Garmin
tech support and spoke to Scott. He verified that the link to 2.40 actually
pointed to 2.30. He said he'd report the problem. It should be fixed today.

The new version 3.60 for the GPSMAP 196 has the same description and appears
to point to the correct update.


Cool, Jon, thanks for the notification! This newsgroup can take a lot of the
credit for getting this fixed. John Bell picked up my report on the newsgroup
and documented it in a way that Garmin couldn't ignore. Thanks to all who
contributed to this effort!

Dave
Remove SHIRT to reply directly.


  #5  
Old November 26th 03, 04:34 PM
Blanche
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Interesting. But I don't see how changing the software solves the
problem. Updating the database certainly would. Or am I missing
something here?

  #6  
Old November 26th 03, 04:46 PM
Dave Butler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Blanche wrote:
Interesting. But I don't see how changing the software solves the
problem. Updating the database certainly would. Or am I missing
something here?


Yes, what you are missing is that there is a bug in the datbase updating
process, when a fix is moved between database updates, and the GPS receiver has
a stored route that contains that fix. Do a search at groups.google.com for "Who
moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp?"

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.
Dave

  #7  
Old November 28th 03, 05:29 PM
Andrew Gideon
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Dave Butler wrote:

Yes, what you are missing is that there is a bug in the datbase updating
process, when a fix is moved between database updates, and the GPS
receiver has a stored route that contains that fix. Do a search at
groups.google.com for "Who moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp?"


Hmm. I hope that they flag flight plans altered by moving waypoints. It
could render a flight plan "wrong" from the pilot's perspective...or at
least cause one to consider using a different waypoint.

Yes, one would pick that up when loading the flight plan. But it would be
nice to have a list of impacted flight plans ahead of time.

- Andrew

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RF interference issue again (esp. for E Drucker and Jim Weir and other RF wizards) Snowbird Home Built 78 December 3rd 03 09:10 PM
Garmin 195 screen problem BPattonsoa Home Built 30 December 3rd 03 02:14 AM
who moved SAV, forgot to tell Jepp? Dave Butler Instrument Flight Rules 15 November 9th 03 02:16 AM
Garmin DME arc weidnress Dave Touretzky Instrument Flight Rules 5 October 2nd 03 02:04 AM
Garmin 430/530 Questions Steve Coleman Instrument Flight Rules 16 August 28th 03 09:04 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.