When Good Cylinders Go Bad (Pic Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation)

Old January 28th 04, 01:53 AM
El Roto

Default When Good Cylinders Go Bad (Pic Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation)

Go on over to see a cylinder head and piston off of a P&W 1830 after the
exhaust valve broke off part way up the valve stem (that's what made the big
hole through the piston). The a/c landed safely and no one was hurt - I
can't say more than that per the request of the a/c owner.

The exhaust valve and stem was recovered nearly intact. It was the poor
intact valve that really got tore up, though the stem stayed in place.

You'll notice the cylinder head is cracked in two, not cut open. As they
were removing the plug wires and other bits the two halves fell away from
the cylinder like a coconut split by a machete.

Steve "El Roto" Genotte

P.S. It's good to be back

Old January 28th 04, 05:33 PM
jls

"El Roto" wrote in message
Go on over to see a cylinder head and piston off of a P&W 1830 after the
exhaust valve broke off part way up the valve stem (that's what made the

big
hole through the piston). The a/c landed safely and no one was hurt - I
can't say more than that per the request of the a/c owner.

The exhaust valve and stem was recovered nearly intact. It was the poor
intact valve that really got tore up, though the stem stayed in place.

You'll notice the cylinder head is cracked in two, not cut open. As they
were removing the plug wires and other bits the two halves fell away from
the cylinder like a coconut split by a machete.

Steve "El Roto" Genotte

P.S. It's good to be back

Thanks for the picture. Scary. Thirty years ago, the story is told, a
Waco took off from the airport here down by the river and circled West
Asheville. Suddenly a jug departed the engine and dropped about 500 feet
into the township. The pilot was a round-engine aficionado and came loping
along back to the little strip and landed. In about 15 minutes here came a
little man in a truck with the jug, which had left a crater in his front
yard.

Old January 28th 04, 06:44 PM
Bernie the Bunion

jls wrote:

In about 15 minutes here came a little man in a truck with
the jug, which had left a crater in his front yard.

Some years ago up here in Edmonton a wheel came off a
DC-6 ( I believe ) and went through someone's roof.

The owner of the house or apartment had just gone into the kitchen to
make a snack when kaboom.... right into the living room.

To the locals ---- correct me if I am wrong.
Old January 29th 04, 02:14 AM
Dan Thomas

Bernie the Bunion wrote in message ...
jls wrote:

In about 15 minutes here came a little man in a truck with
the jug, which had left a crater in his front yard.

Some years ago up here in Edmonton a wheel came off a
DC-6 ( I believe ) and went through someone's roof.

The owner of the house or apartment had just gone into the kitchen to
make a snack when kaboom.... right into the living room.

To the locals ---- correct me if I am wrong.

Didn't that happen in New York, too, many years ago? A dual-wheel and
tire assembly, I think it was, that landed in a downtown street.
Didn't kill anyone, as I remember. But my memory isn't that good.
Anyone else remember?

Dan
Old January 29th 04, 04:22 AM
Bob Chilcoat

A couple of years ago a Cherokee at our airport (SMQ) had a main strut blow
out on takeoff, leaving the strut and wheel dangling by the brake line. A
low pass over the field confirmed what was making all the noise down there,
so the pilot headed for Trenton where they had better emergency equipment.
On the way the banging stopped, and after a completely uneventful landing on
one main and the wingtip, the wheel and strut were found to be missing. No
one ever reported it going through their roof. It's never been seen.