Is TSA planning new ID rules for operators & passengers of small planes & boats?

Old June 17th 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

Default Is TSA planning new ID rules for operators & passengers of small planes & boats?

"Vaughn Simon" wrote:

When Bush first floated the idea of a "Department of Homeland Security",
just the name sounded Gestapo-ish enough to give me serious reservations.
Now this?

"There ought to be limits to freedom."
- George W. Bush, May, 1999

Old June 17th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com... wrote:
Not trying to defend these individuals, but if someone wants to buy a
prepaid phone and a prepaid plan, I don't see why you need to show any
id.

Of course, we don't know if they were trying to buy prepaid phones. Prepaid
phones excepted, cellphones are seldom sold "free and clear", they are usually
discounted when you sign a contract to buy cell service for a minimum number of
months. If you run off with the phone, the carrier loses.

Around here, you can buy prepaid phones at the drugstore or supermarket and
nobody cares who you are.

Vaughn

Old June 17th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:35:23 -0700, Andrew Sarangan
wrote in
.com:

Not trying to defend these individuals, but if someone wants to buy a
prepaid phone and a prepaid plan, I don't see why you need to show any
id.

How is the CIA supposed to know who they are eavesdropping on if ID
isn't required to purchase the phone? :-)
Old June 18th 07, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith[_2_]

In article .com,
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

Not trying to defend these individuals, but if someone wants to buy a
prepaid phone and a prepaid plan, I don't see why you need to show any
id.

This was not for prepaid plan and phone.
This was for a phone and monthly service plan.
After relating this story to me, I laughed and mentioned that I thought
they usually bought prepaid cards for exactly the reason that they do
not have identification.
Old June 18th 07, 05:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

"There ought to be limits to freedom."
- George W. Bush, May, 1999

He's right. The limits to any person's freedom should be the freedoms of
other persons and nothing more.

Old June 18th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old June 18th 07, 07:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Bravo Two Zero writes:

It also assumes that all terrorists are on the watch list.

That's easy to ensu just put _everyone_ on the watch list.
Old June 18th 07, 07:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Bravo Two Zero writes:

It also assumes that all terrorists are on the watch list.

That's easy to ensu just put _everyone_ on the watch list.

OK, terrorist boi##

Bertei