Surecheck TrafficScope Pirep?

Old October 13th 03, 03:39 PM
Thierry

Dear Sir,

Dynamic :

Dynamic gives a good idea of signal to noise ratio so ability to 1)
receive far transmitter or/and 2) have a better signal quality. By the
way i'm an HAM for 10 years too.

Power consumption :
False : Drawing 1 or 15 watts is very different. Simply because at 15
watts the electronic will get very very hot and minimize life of the
electronic components. Both TS and Proxalert have a small package.

Battery : I don't understand your concern since your previously said
that you operate the unit from the aircraft power !!! Anyway at 15
watts six NiMh AA battery will provide 18 watts so around one hour of
autonomy.

Our two AA NiMH battery are integrated in the cigar plug cable and
will provide more than 2h30 of autonomy. Furthermore these batteries
will charge automatically so you are ALWAYS sure that they are fully
loaded.

Because our batteries are outside the Proxalert total weight is well
below other devices. Offering a better behavior during turbulences.
Stability is also ensured by our patented fixing pods.

Obviously The Proxalert R5 displays altitude in both absolute or
relative.
Some pilots prefer absolute some other relative. You simply have to
set the proper option thru our intuitive menu.

By menu you can also set the kind of rank you prefer by altitude or by
distance
as our device displays up to three threats simultaneously.

All options are saved and recovered during the next power on.

Concerning squawk i disagree with your statement. As you get
controlled
the ATC will assign a dedicated squawk to your aircraft. Not to add
that you may be in conflict with VFR but also IFR. This is very
frequent when flying cross country. Anyway you get all these
advantages at nearly the TS price.

At Proxalert we only announce products when they are mature so no fear
to have. Our in-house Engineering Department is made up of talented
engineers coming from the very big name in small and large computers
Consequently the R5 is designed and manufactured to provide years of
excellent services.

My turn to ask some questions/remarks :

1) If the TS detects transponders answering mode A only ? Proxalert
R5 does it.
2) What is the expected internal temperature when the TS is under a
bright sun ?
By the way you can actually check the Proxalert R5 internal
temperature from
the system menu option.
3) Is the TS fully certified as a rack mountable device ? where to get
the
official form ?
4) Is the TS got FCC Part 15 certificate ?
5) Wake turbulence : It is misleading to say that only big irons are
equipped
with Mode S transponders. More and more light IFR are also
equipped.
To my opinion this may lead to false wake turbulence adding
stress for nothing.

Whatever proximity device you fly i wish you good and safe flights,

Regards,

Proxalert

(BHelman) wrote in message om...
To be up front I got a trafficscope and have been very pleased with
its performance. But your post made some points I felt I wanted to ask
or address.

"Check also our receiver dynamic : 60 db typical compared to 40 db:
This parameter gives you a good indication of the overall quality of
our radar receiver."

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't dynamic ability indicate range
of reception, not "quality" of the receiver? example 5NM or 10 NM? I
have been a HAM operator for over 6 years and my experience is that
S/N ratio is an indicator of "quality" not reception dynamics right?

"Our typical power consumption is 1 watt compared to 5 to 12 watts for
the TS."

I run my trafficscope off of the adapter which uses aircraft power, so
why should power consumption be of concern? even 20 watts is minimal
power draw on a 14 volt system. Does your unit have a battery
compartment or do you have to lug around a battery pack (like some
headsets) because frankly battery packs are more clutter.

As far as squawk goes most of the aircraft (I would say 90%) that I
fly around are on 1200 "VFR" so adding this would not be much of an
improvement to advisory conditions.

I saw the website, and it shows an altitude of "65" do you have a way
of showing how that is relative to my altitude? trafficscope gives me
"UP 500 feet" which instantly shows me how far up or below to look, so
by giving their actual altitude, wouldn't that leave the mathematics
up to the pilot to perform?

My last question is what is your company background in producing these
types of devices? Is this the first product they will produce? Has it
been Beta tested?

(Thierry) wrote in message . com...
"CriticalMass" wrote in message ...
"Thierry" wrote in message
om...

A new higher performance system will be available soon at a nearly
same
price of the VRX unit which will display simultaneously 3 threat
aircraft information including the aircraft SQUWAK. This new device
will also integrate an altitude alerter.

Intriguing news, but I must be missing something. Why do I care what code
my traffic is squawking? It's never mentioned except on initial contract
with ATC.

Hello,

First of all if a traffic is following you, could identify it by its
squawk number. If you don't have the SQ displayed you may think this
is a new traffic crossing your path. If you have it you could also ask
your ATC more info about a specific SQ. This will greatly help the ATC
to answer precisely.

You could also check if it's a VFR or not (1200, etc).

Displaying three threats simultaneoulsy will help you take the proper
flight level in order to avoid them all. ie : One threat "A" 200 ft
below, one 200 ft above "B". To avoid "A" You climb 200 ft and risk a
collision with "B".

Our device also distinghish threats squawking mode A only (no altitude
reported). Check if the other do the same.

Check also our receiver dynamic : 60 db typical compared to 40 db
which allow
us to offer a maximum range of 10 Nm instead of 5 Nm.

This parameter gives you a good indication of the overall quality of
our radar receiver.

Our typical power consumption is 1 watt compared to 5 to 12 watts for
the TS. This is a large difference. Imagine this small box on your
dashboard during a sunny day. Internal temperature will quickly exceed
the functional limit.
This will also impact the reliability of the device. Electronic
devices don't heat.

Last but not least you get an altitude alerter for free + free
lifetime software upgrade thru our web site.

I recommend you double check the exact level of performance of the
competitive device(s). I was reported a number of inaccuracy
concerning their previous generation device.

Finally you get all these functionalities for nearly the same price.

Rgds,

Proxalert

SureCheck Micro/VR/VRX Hilton Piloting 0 October 24th 04 03:50 PM
(PIREP, long) Cherokee 180 from Bay Area to Bishop, CA Dave Jacobowitz Piloting 15 June 24th 04 12:11 AM
Trafficscope PIREP - long SeeAndAvoid Owning 6 November 24th 03 08:24 PM
Surecheck TrafficScope Pirep? Marco Leon Owning 30 October 21st 03 02:44 PM
Surecheck TrafficScope Pirep? Marco Leon Piloting 20 October 13th 03 03:39 PM