spinner fab

Old April 14th 04, 10:57 PM
Dick

Default spinner fab

Dan,
Thanks for reply. I was at Sun 'n Fun today and after talking with the
"metal fab" guys, was giving up on a domed metal spinner (at least fabbed by
me G).

If you could answer a couple of more question....

Tomorrow I'll check those 172 spinner backplate but don't understand how you
handled the "point" of the spinner?? Approximately what was your base
diameter and length?
Do I understand that instead of a front bulkhead, you used those steel
brackets connected to the prop?

Thanks again, Dick Ripper

Old April 15th 04, 02:53 PM
Dan Thomas

"Dick" wrote in message ...
Dan,
Thanks for reply. I was at Sun 'n Fun today and after talking with the
"metal fab" guys, was giving up on a domed metal spinner (at least fabbed by
me G).

If you could answer a couple of more question....

Tomorrow I'll check those 172 spinner backplate but don't understand how you
handled the "point" of the spinner?? Approximately what was your base
diameter and length?
Do I understand that instead of a front bulkhead, you used those steel
brackets connected to the prop?

Thanks again, Dick Ripper

The metal was rolled up so that the top of the cone came to a
point, and gentle tapping with a hammer formed a very small dome on
the tip. Base diameter was around 12", same as the cowling face at the
prop, and length was about the same, which would give the length of
the metal of the side of about 14". The airplane's not here anymore so
I can't measure it. Rolling the two pieces in a way that the radius
was constant was the hardest part; I worked them by hand over a rod
clamped in a vise. You don't want any bend lines appearing along the
curve.
And yes, those steel brackets acted as the front bulkhead.

Have fun working out the segments, and don't forget to allow for
overlap at one end of each piece for riveting.

Dan
Dan

Old April 15th 04, 03:57 PM

I've heard of guys making bowls and spinners by rolling metal into a
form that's turning on a lathe. I gather they use some kind of roller
against the metel to force it in as the lathe turns, but beyond that I
don't understand the process. I don't, for instance, understand how
the metal is held in place while being forced into the mold. The
mold, if I'm recalling correctly, was simply a wood block with the
proper depression cut into it.

Perhaps I should ask "Tinman".

Corky Scott

Old April 17th 04, 12:34 PM
B2431

Date: 4/15/2004 9:57 AM Central Daylight Time

I've heard of guys making bowls and spinners by rolling metal into a
form that's turning on a lathe. I gather they use some kind of roller
against the metel to force it in as the lathe turns, but beyond that I
don't understand the process. I don't, for instance, understand how
the metal is held in place while being forced into the mold. The
mold, if I'm recalling correctly, was simply a wood block with the
proper depression cut into it.

Perhaps I should ask "Tinman".

Corky Scott

There's a guy who sells a book about that on e-bay. I have bought some of his
books and he seems quite handy.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old April 18th 04, 03:09 AM
Blueskies

It is called spinning and is really not too hard to do on annealed materials. You do of course have to have a pretty
large throw available on the lathe...

--
Dan D.

..

Old April 23rd 04, 02:26 AM
Stan's News

Guys,

Here's all you need to know about making spinners

http://prl.stanford.edu/documents/pdf/spinning.pdf

, now just do it.

Stan Kapushinski

. ..