A Note for Jay Honeck

Old March 14th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman 46U

Default A Note for Jay Honeck

As much as you have wanted to visit the Hangar Hotel, you definitely
made the right decision about the direction of your vacation. We're
about 70 miles east of Fredericksburg, and here's a synopsis of what
we've enjoyed lately.

Sunday: solid IFR, light rain. Sunday night-Monday morning:
tremendous lightning (a sky-ground strike claimed a home near us),
torrential rains, high winds. Rain total for this event 3.47".
Monday: solid IFR, some rain. Tuesday: more rain, IFR, breaking in
the afternoon to broken clouds for awhile. Last night: light rain.
0844 this morning: solid IFR, fog, mist. Temps all this time are in
the high 60s - low 70s.

Myrtle Beach is definitely better. We used it as a "cross-country"
destination when I was doing my IFR training in Florence. Well, sort
of. It would be 1130, and my buddy would say, "I don't think we've
done your cross country yet. Guess we'd better fly to Myrtle Beach." I
think we did this maybe four times when we were really hungry. The
crew car was always ready at KCRE, and the staff was great.

I will never think of Myrtle Beach but what I'll see the ducks walking
on the backs of the carp when you throw fish food into the canals
they've developed. Really odd.

Michael
Grumman 46U
Old March 14th 07, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

(Grumman 46U wrote)
As much as you have wanted to visit the Hangar Hotel, you definitely made
the right decision about the direction of your vacation. We're about 70
miles east of Fredericksburg, and here's a synopsis of what we've enjoyed
lately.

Twin Cities (MN) saw mid 60's yesterday (Tue). Today will only be into the
40's around here. Possible rain on Thursday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiVJDpiwjks
"Buh-bye ....snow!!

Much of our (melted) snow has soaked into the ground. Monday afternoon we
needed to build a (15-ft long) walking bridge to the front door of our EAA
Hangar - a good sized lake was blocking the entrance. Last night I swung by
the airport to bring the particle board shelving planks inside the
building - because of possible rain. The ground where Minnesota's newest
lake had been the night before, was now just barely damp.

Montblack
(The shelving boards had plastic pop crates under them)

Old March 14th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

Same is happening here. The county was out last night with wheeled hoes
(the construction type, not the type you find in Las Vegas retirement homes)
opening culverts to let the water run. Many of the large snowmelt lakes are
gone this morning, but water is still running down the ditches and across
roads in some places.

After reading the recommendations about Galveston, I researched the area on
the web and it sure sounds like a great place to visit... except today...
3/4 inch hail forecasted for this afternoon. Ouch... that'll cause some
insurance claims

Jim

Old March 14th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Montblack wrote:
(Grumman 46U wrote)

[...]

North Texas has been IFR all week with TS yesterday rolling through.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 14th 07, 07:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Montblack wrote:
The ground where Minnesota's newest lake had been the night before,
was now just barely damp.

So the slogan should be changed to "10,000 and counting"

Old March 14th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

Jim Burns wrote:

Same is happening here. The county was out last night with wheeled hoes
(the construction type, not the type you find in Las Vegas retirement homes)
opening culverts to let the water run. Many of the large snowmelt lakes are
gone this morning, but water is still running down the ditches and across
roads in some places.

After reading the recommendations about Galveston, I researched the area on
the web and it sure sounds like a great place to visit... except today...
3/4 inch hail forecasted for this afternoon. Ouch... that'll cause some
insurance claims

Jim

Galveston is a great place to visit. My sister has a place there. She
can see the ships in the harbour from her house. Well she has to stand
in the street and look down it. Watch out for stringrays. My wife
stepped on one last May and that is not a pleasant experience. The
hospital is great though.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old March 14th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_2_]

I remember that thread about the stingrays. Sounded awfully painful.
Galveston is definitely on my "places to fly" list. It really sounds nice.
Jim

Old March 14th 07, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

As much as you have wanted to visit the Hangar Hotel, you definitely
made the right decision about the direction of your vacation. We're
about 70 miles east of Fredericksburg, and here's a synopsis of what
we've enjoyed lately.

Definitely! We've been watching the weather --
Jay Honeck
Currently in Memphis, TN
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"in Texas all week, as we've traveled around
the Southeast -- and it's been an amazing demonstration of what a
persistent cut-off low pressure can do.

It's funny, but every time we've tried to go to the Hangar Hotel --
this is our third attempt -- the weather in Texas goes completely to
pot...

Old March 14th 07, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Definitely! We've been watching the weather --
Jay Honeck
Currently in Memphis, TN
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"in Texas all week, as we've traveled around
the Southeast -- and it's been an amazing demonstration of what a
persistent cut-off low pressure can do.

It's funny, but every time we've tried to go to the Hangar Hotel --
this is our third attempt -- the weather in Texas goes completely to
pot...

Whoa -- now THAT was weird. Don't ask me why that posted all garbled
-- heck, we haven't even been to the bar yet!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Currently in Memphis, TN

Old March 15th 07, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Well, shucks, if you want the Iowa City facilty to go to pot, we've got some
neighbors that can supply us with as much as you need.

It wasn't named "Grass Valley" for nuthin' ya know {;-)\

Jim

Honeck Hilton Ken Finney Piloting 15 February 28th 07 11:37 PM
Grob AD note. Stemme AD note. pbc76049 Soaring 0 August 21st 06 03:23 PM
For Jay Honeck and Montblack Flyingmonk Piloting 1 July 4th 06 03:54 AM
Jay Honeck - R U OK? mah Owning 4 April 14th 06 10:26 PM
Ping, Jay Honeck Marty Piloting 8 June 8th 04 03:21 PM