Fire Spotting.

Old October 29th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
EridanMan

Default Fire Spotting.

Anyone here familiar with Aerial Firefighting?

I've found fires to be an ever-present fact of life flying here in
California. I've personally spotted at least two young, fast-moving
brush fires, one of which was during on my solo long cross country.
My instinct when I see these fires is always to tell someone,
especially if the fire appears particularly young (small). Is this
correct? I want to help, but I fear 'bugging people' about it.

The situation in particular which got me thinking, I took off from
Columbia and headed out for an overflight of Yosemite. As we flew up
the valley, we noticed a tiny but quickly growing brush fire about 20
miles East of half dome, way up in the park.

I could not reach either Center or Fresno Approach, so I decided to
jump back on Columbia's (A firefighting base) CTAF and call out for
any Firefighting aircraft. I got one of the bomber pilots on
frequency, relayed the fire position, and he said they hadn't heard of
that one and they were on their way to check it out.

It felt good to help... or he was being nice, I'm not sure.

So my question is, as a private pilot, should I feel a 'duty' to call
in forest fires? Is it actually helpful? If so, what are/is the
best frequencies and procedures to use?

Any insight would be appreciated.

-Scott

Old October 29th 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gatt

"EridanMan" wrote in message
ups.com...

So my question is, as a private pilot, should I feel a 'duty' to call
in forest fires? Is it actually helpful?

During my commercial checkride in June, the examiner had me divert during a
maneuver to go check out smoke coming from a stand of forest. Turned out it
was a controlled burn and there was equipment on the scene, so we went back
about our business. He specifically indicated, however, that checking out
a fire is the right thing to do if you see one.

(It's also a boost to general aviation's reputation of you're the first to
spot a fire and the media finds out.)

-c

Old October 29th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

EridanMan wrote:
[...]

My instructor is also a TRACON controller.
His advice is to divert and look for equipment
on-scene and if there's nothing, call it in
to Approach.

You did the right thing. An early heads-up
can save lots of money and trees.

Old October 29th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

We take a lot of calls every fire season in the Tower regarding fires.
Giving us a radial/DME from any VOR is best. Use GPS to get that info
if you have to. Precise accuracy is not necessary, plus or minus five
miles is fine. We pass the info on to the local fire dispatch center
and they take it from there.

Old October 30th 07, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

EridanMan wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

I can only relate my experience with this.

Several years ago I was heading on V137 between ROM and AVE down to
DAG for an Angel Flight pick up to STS. It was a nice clear VFR day and I
was relaxing enjoying the flight when I noticed a burst of orange on the
ground in front of me. What looked like a large propane tank had exploded
and started a fire.

The fire was almost directly on V137 and I estimated about 10 miles in
front of me. As I already had flight following, I called ATC and asked
them to contact the CDF. I also said I would ident when over the fire for
a more precise fix. The response was a "thank you" and they called the
CDF.

While on the ground at DAG, I called FSS to check the my return route,
and at that time there was no TFR established.

About 3 hours after I had reported the fire, I was heading back from
DAG to STS and from AVE was following V107. At AVE, I could see the smoke
coming from the fire. I had to climb up to 10,500' to stay VFR. As I was
nearing the smoke, ATC announced the TFR. Then, to my surprise, Center
cleared me into the edge of the TFR, thanking me for reporting the fire.

In my case, the choice of frequency to use was easy, as I just used
the one I was receiving flight following on. Had I not been with flight
following, I would have used whatever center/approach/FSS frequency was
appropriate for my location to report what I had observed.

Reporting a fire one sees start is the right thing to do. I consider
it a civic duty, whether I'm flying an airplane, driving by in a car, or
see it out my window. The sooner fires are reported, the sooner the
appropriate agency can respond and fight it.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)
Old October 30th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

EridanMan wrote:

Any insight would be appreciated.

-Scott

When I was on my solo long xc, I noticed a commercial vehicle fire on a
rural stretch of freeway that had erupted while i was flying that way
(smoke plume just bloomed in front of me).

I called it in on CTAF to the county airport 5 miles away and orbited
until equipment was on scene. Fuel wise I had topped off at that same
county airport, so I had plenty of time to be a good sam.

Of course, in addition to being a wing nut, I'd been a firefighter for
10 years with the volunteers, so I tend to check lots of smoke plumes
out along my path.

Dave
Old October 30th 07, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

EridanMan wrote:
[...]

Oklahoma does a lot of control burning. Once I was flying and heard a
pilot call in a fire. ATC acknowledged it. I came on and told about the
control burning and ATC said that if they are informed of a fire they
had the duty to report it. As I looked out from my vantage point, I
could count about 8 fires going on.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 30th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Newps wrote:
We take a lot of calls every fire season in the Tower regarding fires.
Giving us a radial/DME from any VOR is best. Use GPS to get that info
if you have to. Precise accuracy is not necessary, plus or minus five
miles is fine. We pass the info on to the local fire dispatch center
and they take it from there.

I report fires every year during backcountry flying season. Generally, I
call up whichever Center has control of the local airspace. When giving
reports to ATC, Newps is spot on. Radial and distance is the preferred
method. When I first got a GPS, I thought they would appreciate the
increased accuracy, but after giving the lat/long coordinates, I was always
asked for a radial and distance :-) Of course, when your talking about a
column of smoke pouring out of a forest, pinpoint accuracy isn't really much
of a benefit.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Another picture spotting request IL Naval Aviation 3 October 4th 07 10:29 PM
Spotting Paris Malibu95 Aviation Photos 0 February 12th 07 02:28 PM
Spotting Traffic john smith Piloting 38 June 5th 06 09:30 PM
Weir spotting Jerry Guy Home Built 0 October 14th 03 01:06 AM