Surecheck TrafficScope Pirep?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 18th 03, 02:15 PM
BHelman

I did fly with one and had one. The Monroy would give traffic alerts
of almost every airliner flying thousands of feet above me, and others
that passed well below me. It was clear to me very quickly that the
claim of "within 1500 feet" was just not the case. It sounds like you
like that unit, but my opinion is that it was just more of an
annoyance than useful because aircraft well above me or below me (or
even some that never existed at all!) would set it off, where as I
have never had that problem with this traffic scope. I think knowing
the altitude of the other plane is the biggest key. As an example, I
was flying 2 days ago when my traffic scope started showing range
decreasing rapidly and his altitude 200 feet above me, at .6 miles I
STILL did not see him so I just descended 300 feet. about 2 seconds
later the Baron passed above me by 500 feet in exact opposite
direction. With the Monroy I would not have known what to do but
panic. I guess it comes down to personal preference and budget,
because there are still some who do prefer the ADF / VOR as opposed to
upgrading to GPS, in fact I was one for 6 years!!

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
BHelman,

The
Monroy doesn't account for altitude, so when you have a 737 flying
overhead thousands of feet up the Monroy would be screaming bloody
murder.

Clearly, you haven't flown with the unit. This statement couldn't be
more wrong. The antenna characteristics are such that traffic being
more than 1500 or 2000 feet different in altitude will not be
annunciated. Altitude has NEVER be a problem for us in actual
operation. Whenever you get a warning for traffic close enough to be
visible, when scanning outside in a sensible range, you'll spot that
traffic, on our experience. Thus, I have looked at the vrx with
interest from a gadget freak standpoint, but I don't think the altitude
sensing would be worth that much money to me. I would, however, love to
see the vr in action.

SureCheck Micro/VR/VRX Hilton Piloting 0 October 24th 04 03:50 PM
(PIREP, long) Cherokee 180 from Bay Area to Bishop, CA Dave Jacobowitz Piloting 15 June 24th 04 12:11 AM
Trafficscope PIREP - long SeeAndAvoid Owning 6 November 24th 03 08:24 PM
Surecheck TrafficScope Pirep? Marco Leon Owning 30 October 21st 03 02:44 PM
Surecheck TrafficScope Pirep? Marco Leon Piloting 20 October 13th 03 03:39 PM