Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

Old September 5th 12, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Anyone know what happened to Sky Life Flying Camp?

I worked at sky life for a summer of 1986 or 1987. I worked the hobby shop and also co-taught Sailing with Bud (I think that was his name). I do remember that we had a Rhodes 17 sailboat for us while the campers used 2 man "tub" sailboats (all blue with one that was light blue). The most enjoyable time for me was on the sailboats each day.

With this said, that place in retrospect was more than creepy as a staffer. There was some sort of "secret society" of key staffers, and I think some of Lee Barns actions were completely inappropriate to todays camp standards with how he managed staff and attendees. I was glad to get out of there.
Old December 16th 12, 09:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

I was a member of Sky Life Flying Club in the early 70s. I hung out at the house in Mt Kisko & went to the Northville camp in '70 &'71. We lived in tents in a field north of the runway. Bud Wright was there with his sailboat and I still remember a lot of the guys, and the airplanes too. I had some fun with that group, but there was a dark undercurrent. I always suspected something ugly behind the scenes. I was too young to solo back then, flew 30 hours with them. Eventually I got rated. I'm interested in reconnecting with anyone from my time frame. -SS-
Old February 18th 13, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

On Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:50:38 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I was a member of Sky Life Flying Club in the early 70s. I hung out at the house in Mt Kisko & went to the Northville camp in '70 &'71. We lived in tents in a field north of the runway. Bud Wright was there with his sailboat and I still remember a lot of the guys, and the airplanes too. I had some fun with that group, but there was a dark undercurrent. I always suspected something ugly behind the scenes. I was too young to solo back then, flew 30 hours with them. Eventually I got rated. I'm interested in reconnecting with anyone from my time frame. -SS-

I joined around 1968. At that time the club was based out of White Plains Airport at International. I was only 13 and just started taking lessons in his Cessna 150 N--90X . He just started the camp in Northville. I remembered just being tents back then. He had a Cessna 206 which my father bought from him. I ended up getting my private on my 17th bithday out of Quades flying school in Orange county NY, that was near where I went to school ( but lived in Valhalla, NY ) I remember a Dan McGlocklin ?? He was the person on all the flyers for the camp/school. He soloed at 16, got his private at 17. Instructor at 18 ? I think he went on to be a Commercial pilot. Does anyone know where he is now ? I now own an airport to the south of Northville ( NY05 )We have a fly - in every July....Lots to do here. Pool, pond, pond swing, 1000' zip line, etc. Two runways..My Freq. here is 122.67. I also remeber Barnes having a trip to Canada. Just driving, no flying..In the past I've owned a Cessna 140, J-3,Waco UPF -7, Stearmaan PT -17, 2 PA-12's, Cessna T210, Bell-47. Hope this helps you some. Tim
Old May 29th 13, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

On Sunday, February 17, 2013 11:27:40 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I attended in the early 70's. I was around 14. Tents and planes and little sailboats. It was an old gov't hemp field...I think I remember Dan as a young instructor. Lee knew my dad was a ww2 bomber pilot. Utley, Mike I belive was there. I went twice and stopped after that. Fond memory. I just found out a guy I went to highschool with also went to Skylife!
Old February 20th 14, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.misc

I am that 1969-70 early flight instructor (Dan McLaughlin) who was the cover for the Sky-Life literature. My private pilot picture was the model for the logo. I joined the club at 14 and left at 21 prior to the 1971 camp. I flew in the Navy and am retiring from a major airline this year after 35 years.
Lee was a great flight instructor but a manipulative predator who, in hindsight, abused his position of trust and power as our mentor.
During the early years, at least, a don't think any of his victims knew that others existed. He would flatter, plead, guilt-trip, threaten, lavish gifts upon those he targeted. His abuse went on way too long; but I, for one, was just glad to finally escape and start a new life free of his influence.
Old April 2nd 14, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc
[email protected] tarezo@charter.net is offline

Here is a link to a recent New York Times article on the Hackley School where Lee Barnes used to work prior to his founding Sky Like Flying Club.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/21...html?referrer=
Old July 21st 14, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

On Wednesday, April 2, 2014 4:08:13 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is a link to a recent New York Times article on the Hackley School where Lee Barnes used to work prior to his founding Sky Like Flying Club.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/21...html?referrer=

In 1969, when I was 15, I learned about the Sky Life Flying Club from a friend at Horace Greeley High School and was interested because I wanted to learn to fly. The first time I went to the house in Mt. Kisco, NY, Lee Barnes called me to his office, closed the door, and told me I would have to do "calisthenics in the nude" for him if I wanted to join the club. He wanted me to completely strip and do jumping jacks. I knew immediately what he was and what he was trying to do. When I refused, he tried every way he could to convince me to do it, to the point where I became very frightened because he was getting more and more frustrated and angry. I remember I kept thinking, "Where's my father? Why isn't he here yet to pick me up?" My father finally arrived and we immediately left. I told my father what happened and he called the Westchester County DA. My father told me the DA took some action that resulted in the club shutting down and Barnes and the rest leaving the area.

A friend of mine who ended up joining the club said that during his initiation he and the other "first timers" had to completely strip and run around as others shot water guns at them.

I remember the club had boys from NYC who would stay the weekend at the house. I can only imagine what might have occurred during those sleepovers.

I've always regretted not pushing my father to do more, but I think when the DA told my father what would be required of me, he thought it was in my best interests to take no further action. Who knows how many other boys had to suffer because of that decision.

I actually forgot Barnes' name, but I've been searching the Internet for years looking for Sky Life Flying Club in hopes this would finally surface. I'm glad it finally has. If I had remembered Barnes' name, I would have confronted him long ago (as an adult) and made sure he was not hurting any more boys. Apparently, at least according to the NY Times article, he's now dead. If that's in fact the case, I'm glad he's no longer alive to victimize others. If he's still alive, I would like to know where he lives.
Old June 25th 19, 04:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

Default Response to Sky Life search, 1970s

I attended briefly,somewhere in the early 70s memory banks.
I quit,as when I got to 5000 feet over the Tappan Zee Bridge,I was given control of the Cessna 150,and Lee put his hand on my thigh, with intent.

As a 15 year old,I also attended an initiation in Armonk,and was blindfolded,and,down to my briefs, asked to trust the initiated,and himself.
I was also allowed unlimited access to "Bali Hai",a very sweet wine,appealing to kids.
Unnderstand,I was a cute kid.Queerbait,I've been told.
When I told my dad why I was leaving,(himself, also a Ww2 vet),called me a quitter and a liar.

Lee Barnes succeeded in breaking a trust between me and my(deceased)father.
I hope this note finds you well, and Barnes burning in some obscure subdivision of Hell.

I'll probably run into him in hell's cafeteria, at some point,but I feel certain we'll be in different departments.

Peace. Out.
Old April 9th 20, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.misc

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:00:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Hello,
Previously I posted my pretty uneventful Sky Life experience, no abuse, just the odd initiation ceremony. In the summer of 2018 my wife and I took a driving tour of New England (we're from PA) and took a detour to stop at the Plateau Skyranch Airport in Northville. I had been wanting to check it out for years and finally had the time and opportunity. The field is still operating, the hanger with the tower is still there, there are more airport buildings than when I attended in the summer of 1974, but the farmhouse and the ground school buildings are still there and occupied. We walked a little way and found the remnants of the shower building. I met the guy that either owns the buildings or the whole airport. He knew of the flying camp.. I was overcome with emotion when I saw the airport and the familiar buildings. I took several pictures to compare to a few pictures I have from 1974. It had been one of the best few weeks of my life attending the flying camp. I never suspected anything until I read some of these stories. I hate Barnes for what he did to the other campers. It should have been a great experience for everyone and he ruined it for them. I still think fondly of my time there, but I now can't think of it without thinking about what else went on.