Battery heater: Any experiences?

Old November 3rd 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Default Battery heater: Any experiences?

After having some rather lucky starts last winter, I am thinking of adding
a Tanis battery heater to my Tanis system. On paper, this new heating
element makes sense to me.

Any experiences?

--
Peter
Old November 3rd 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
The Visitor

I didn't know they made one. Makes sense for some though. Could you put
in an automotive one? It's not like you were using it in flight.

Old November 3rd 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

"Peter R." wrote in message
After having some rather lucky starts last winter, I am thinking of adding
a Tanis battery heater to my Tanis system. On paper, this new heating
element makes sense to me.

Any experiences?

--
Peter

How does the Tanis battery heater work? I know Reiff has one that glues to
the battery box.

My solution for a cold battery is to drape a household heating pad over the
battery and leave it plugged in overnight. Of course, my plane's battery is
very easy to access.

KB

Old November 4th 06, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 18:35:25 -0500, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
After having some rather lucky starts last winter, I am thinking of adding
a Tanis battery heater to my Tanis system. On paper, this new heating

I'd heat the engine instead.

element makes sense to me.

Any experiences?

--
Peter

How does the Tanis battery heater work? I know Reiff has one that glues to
the battery box.

I've never seen the Tanis battery heater, but I'd guess it's much like
the crank case heater. (A piece of silicone rubber with a heating
element inside glued to the battery box or stuck inside between the
battery and box...if it'd fit) It probably runs no where near the
temperature of the regular heater.

I have a Tanis block heater plus one insert on each cylinder head. If
I wrap up the engine compartment the whole inside is about 40C with
the outside edges still quite warm to the touch. I'd guess the
battery gets to 80 or 90 F. Now if it'd just heat the cabin to the
samesigh

NOTE I wrap the engine compartment with two layers of these new space
age blankets. Sewn together. They completely cover the firewall
forward and are held together under the engine compartment with large
safety pins.

My solution for a cold battery is to drape a household heating pad over the
battery and leave it plugged in overnight. Of course, my plane's battery is
very easy to access.

I figure if the engine is warm so is the battery and the engine should
be warm. It also turns over a lot easier with less current draw when
it's warm even if the battery is cold.

It's not set up on the airplane, but for my 9500 watt back up
generator I have just a small 50/75 ? watt heat lamp in a reflector
about two feet from the battery. It stays on all winter. The battery
will be slightly warm to the touch. Something like a low wattage
heating pad would *probably* be OK, but generally they get too hot
although wrapped around a batter would probably not get any where near
what they do when you lay on one.

KB

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 4th 06, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

wrote:

"Peter R." wrote in message
After having some rather lucky starts last winter, I am thinking of
adding
a Tanis battery heater to my Tanis system. On paper, this new heating

I'd heat the engine instead.

I heat both. The battery in my airplane is not under-cowl and heating the
engine doesn't help the battery very much.

element makes sense to me.

Any experiences?

--
[...]

They don't get particularly warm when draped over the battery. First, they
are not trapped between a big insulator (a bed or chair) and a heat
generator (the person), second, it is cold, and third the heating pad
doesn't have a *lot* of direct contact with the battery or battery box. I
figure my heating pad keeps the battery 20F or so above ambient.

Old November 4th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Burns[_1_]

I don't know if "competition" would be the correct word to use because this
says that it's unavailable.... but here's the link to the reiff battery
heater http://www.reiffpreheat.com/Battery%20Heater.htm
Jim

Old November 4th 06, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jay Somerset

On Fri, 3 Nov 2006 15:50:02 -0500, "Peter R." wrote:

After having some rather lucky starts last winter, I am thinking of adding
a Tanis battery heater to my Tanis system. On paper, this new heating
element makes sense to me.

Any experiences?

Better than a battery heater is a trickle charger. It will both keep the
battery fully charged, and also keep it warm. Just make sure you get a
charger for your battery voltage (12 or 24 volts).

Check with your IA to see if you need a form 337 (or some such) to make the
installation legal.
Old November 6th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.

Jay Somerset wrote:

Better than a battery heater is a trickle charger. It will both keep the
battery fully charged, and also keep it warm. Just make sure you get a
charger for your battery voltage (12 or 24 volts).

Interesting food for thought, both the above and the other suggestions.
Instead of purchasing the heater, I am now considering all of these
options. Thanks, all.

--
Peter
Old November 6th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
nrp

Maybe you can get to the clock terminal with a trickle charger lead?
You only need & want maybe 100 milli-amps if even that much.

Old November 6th 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

You can get a 1 amp trickle charger at the auto parts store. You will
never hurt the battery at a constant 1 amp.