USAF Museum?

Old March 15th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

Default USAF Museum?

Does anybody have any suggestions on flying down to Dayton to see the
museum at Wright-Pat? Good airports to use, good places to stay, etc? Is
there public transit to Wright-Pat or will I need to rent a car?

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
May all their sendmail.cf files be edited in notepad and returned,
Old March 15th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns

http://tinyurl.com/ywcfsx

KDAY
Stevens Aviation let us use a crew car for the entire day
Jim

Old March 15th 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On Mar 14, 9:31 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
Does anybody have any suggestions on flying down to Dayton to see the
museum at Wright-Pat? Good airports to use, good places to stay, etc? Is
there public transit to Wright-Pat or will I need to rent a car?

--

There is public transit to the museum, but not to any of the airports,
so that's not going to help you. Taxi cabs are very slow, and may take

Green County airport (I19) is the closest to the museum, and I am told
that they do have rental cars (although not on-site).

Dayton Intl (DAY) is not much farther, and you will have acces to all
the regular car rental outlets.

There is also the Wright Brothers historic sites, if you are into that
kind of stuff.

Old March 15th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

When do you plan to go, Paul?

Old March 15th 07, 02:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stubby

Paul Tomblin wrote:
Does anybody have any suggestions on flying down to Dayton to see the
museum at Wright-Pat? Good airports to use, good places to stay, etc? Is
there public transit to Wright-Pat or will I need to rent a car?

There are many hotels along I-75. Finding your way over to WPAFB and
the Museum is easy. Some colleagues used to stay at places in Fairborn
which is closer to the Base. The entrances to these are on Rt 4.

After going through the main museum, plan on visiting the special
displays of "The Presidents' Planes" and "Planes tested at WP". These
are in a building on the Base (C street?). The museum will give you a
car pass. I don't think you can visit without a car.
Old March 15th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James Robinson

Stubby wrote:

After going through the main museum, plan on visiting the special
displays of "The Presidents' Planes" and "Planes tested at WP".
These are in a building on the Base (C street?). The museum will
give you a car pass. I don't think you can visit without a car.

That all changed after 9/11. Now they have a shuttle bus, which you need
to get a reservation to ride. You also need to have a photo ID or passport
to show them before you will be allowed on the bus:

http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/que...pic.asp?id=180
Old March 15th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, john smith said:
When do you plan to go, Paul?

Still thinking about it. Probably some time between the icing season and
the thunderstorm season. Here in Rochester NY, that's generally sometime
in late May.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
I trust the cut & paste under Win2k's telnet about as far as I can