Please help a pilot student to finish an IFR flight plan!!!!!!

Old May 4th 09, 12:05 AM
pilot27usa pilot27usa is offline
Junior Member

Exclamation Please help a pilot student to finish an IFR flight plan!!!!!!

Hello fellow pilots,

I need help finding a preferred route from KPBI - KGNV. I have to do a flight plan for my ground course and can't find the route. Also, do i have to calculate for winds as I do for VFR flights? How would I do that?
Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by pilot27usa : May 4th 09 at 12:17 AM.
Old May 4th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default Please help a pilot student to finish an IFR flight plan!!!!!!

On 05/03/09 16:05, pilot27usa wrote:
Hello fellow pilots,

I need help finding a preferred route from KPBI - KGNV. I have to do a
flight plan for my ground course and can't find the route. Also, do i
have to calculate for winds as I do for VFR flights? How would I do
that?
Thank you very much for your help.

How do you plan to navigate from PBI to GNV? VORs? GPS? I'm sure you
see that can make a difference.

If you plan to use GPS, can you go direct? (think about what might
be in the way).

If you plan to use VORs, can you receive the stations given the altitude
you plan to fly (hint: The VORs are classified by their service volume,
which indicate the distances you should be able to receive them at
various altitudes).

As for the winds, do you think they will affect your IFR flight
differently than they would your VFR flight?

As for preferred routes, these are usually listed in the F/FD. I
don't have a copy for the FL area, but perhaps you do? There should
be a section on "Routes/Waypoints" with a sub-section on Low Altitude
Preferred Routes.

I don't want to tell you too much, because I'm sure your instructor
wants you to figure this out for yourself. However, if you have more
questions, feel free to post.

Best Regards,

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL, Instrument Airplane, USUA Ultralight Pilot
Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Old May 4th 09, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BeechSundowner

On May 3, 6:05*pm, pilot27usa
wrote:
Hello fellow pilots,

I need help finding a preferred route from KPBI - KGNV. I have to do a
flight plan for my ground course and can't find the route. Also, do i
have to calculate for winds as I do for VFR flights? How would I do
that?
Thank you very much for your help.

http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/ (hint try nearby airports
and DON'T forget about MEAs and OROCA's)

or I use a program called Voyager which is a free flight planner.
Also DUAT or DUATS is free.

Like Mark indicated himself, to give you the "answer" won't help you
in that learning curve. After you select your route, if you have
questions, you may want to post.
Old May 4th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ross

Mark Hansen wrote:
[...]

Work backwards also. See what the approaches and the transition is to
the destination airport it. Seems odd, but that works well. Then there
is DUATS and the other flight planners. But, at this time you should be
doing it manually.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old May 4th 09, 07:33 PM
pilot27usa pilot27usa is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hansen View Post
[...]

Hello Mark,

Thank you very much for the reply. It help me a lot.

Ps: By the way, thanks again for making me work harder and not just giving me the answer....heheh
Old May 4th 09, 07:40 PM
pilot27usa pilot27usa is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeechSundowner View Post
On May 3, 6:05*pm, pilot27usa
wrote:
Hello fellow pilots,

I need help finding a preferred route from KPBI - KGNV. I have to do a
flight plan for my ground course and can't find the route. Also, do i
have to calculate for winds as I do for VFR flights? How would I do
that?
Thank you very much for your help.

http://flightaware.com/statistics/ifr-route/ (hint try nearby airports
and DON'T forget about MEAs and OROCA's)

or I use a program called Voyager which is a free flight planner.
Also DUAT or DUATS is free.

Like Mark indicated himself, to give you the "answer" won't help you
in that learning curve. After you select your route, if you have
questions, you may want to post.

Thanks BeechSundowner. I am going to try the "Voyeur" program as well.
You guys were very helpful.
Old May 4th 09, 07:46 PM
pilot27usa pilot27usa is offline
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Mark Hansen wrote:
[...]

Thank you Ross.
Old May 4th 09, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kobra[_6_]

Hello fellow pilots,

I need help finding a preferred route from KPBI - KGNV. I have to do a
flight plan for my ground course and can't find the route. Also, do i
have to calculate for winds as I do for VFR flights? How would I do
that?

Hello fellow pilot,

The advice you were given in the NG about finding preferred routes in
the
A/FD will work and is what you should do for your ground class.

In the real world when I am flying IFR somewhere I've never been
before I
have a system to get my route ahead of time.

On the east coast and at my uncontrolled airport where we get our
clearances
by calling the local approach facility, I rarely get ANY flight plan I
file
no matter where I look it up from. I end up getting a new and unique
one
ATC wants me to fly while I'm sitting in the plane with the propeller
spinning at 90 bucks a Hobbs hour (and this is in my own plane!).
Then I
have to throw out my original flight plan with all my calculated times
and
fuel burns. Next I have about 5 minutes release time and a 5 minute
void
time to mark my charts with an erasable highlighter, enter all the
waypoints
into the GPS, finish my checklist items, taxi, do the run-up, taxi
into line
for departure, do my before take-off checklist and pray there aren't
too
many planes ahead of me for takeoff such that I can get into the air
before
my void time expires.

Needless to say it's like a cockpit karate tournament during those
tense 10
minutes. To save myself this trouble I file my flight plan early
while at
home with a departure time 30 minutes from whatever time it is. I
then call
from home to get my clearance and learn the route I'm going to get. I
then
tell them that I am going to cancel my flight plan and I will have to
call
back later to re-file. They never ask why and just say that my flight
plan
is cancelled.

Now I have all the info I need to mark my charts, enter the waypoints
in the
GPS ahead of time and calculate my times and fuel. Now when I really
pick
up my clearance there isn't this mad rabid rush.

GW
Old May 5th 09, 06:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
VOR-DME

Could be that you are not looking deep enough into available resources
before filing. Don't stop at preferred routes and Tower Enroute, but have
a look at STARS as well. I fly into NYC (Republic, Islip Teterboro)
from upstate New York or New England without any route changes, or few,
but I try to file in a way that resembles the traffic they are used to
dealing with. A STAR may be designed for traffic initiating from much
further up and much further out, but it is a good indication of what ATC
is looking for. If you file some waypoints which resemble the STAR there
is every chance you will be cleared "as filed" and have few, if any, route
changes along the way.

STARS, preferred routes, Terminal enroute - whatever, it's to your
advantage to try to program a flight that fits into what ATC is expecting.
If you say you "never" get what you file, this is not my experience on the
US East Coast, and it could mean you are unlucky, or just as likely you
might pay more attention to how you file.

In article
,
says...

[...]

Student Pilot Bought An Electronic Flight Computer For $80 Chris L Piloting 8 January 5th 08 01:10 AM
canadian flight plan advice for a U.S. pilot Cirrus Piloting 9 October 29th 06 10:10 PM
Flight plan hell, Tales of filing an ADIZ flight plan Michelle P Piloting 30 July 15th 05 06:28 AM
Student Pilot at 50 TF Piloting 31 March 16th 04 01:58 AM
Student Pilot Patrick Piloting 1 August 7th 03 05:38 AM