Leasing Sailplanes?

Old September 20th 11, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian D[_2_]

Default Leasing Sailplanes?

Hello,

Some college friends and I have been flying sailplanes with the
eventual goal of getting into competition soaring. This would not be
for a while, but we were wondering if it is common to find competition
sailplanes available for lease during a season? If so, what is a
'typical' cost range? Unfortunately the club and commercial operation
near us do not have any racing class aircraft available. Any advise
you may have for how we can eventually make our way into the
competition side of things is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Ian D.
Old September 20th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Ian D wrote:
Hello,

Some college friends and I have been flying sailplanes with the
eventual goal of getting into competition soaring. This would not be
for a while, but we were wondering if it is common to find competition
sailplanes available for lease during a season? If so, what is a
'typical' cost range? Unfortunately the club and commercial operation
near us do not have any racing class aircraft available. Any advise
you may have for how we can eventually make our way into the
competition side of things is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Ian D.

county? State? Flight experience? What do you consider racing class? -
any particular actual class?

How many friends? Why not buy a shared glider?

Darryl
Old September 21st 11, 05:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On 9/20/11 3:14 PM, Darryl Ramm wrote:
Ian wrote:
Hello,

Some college friends and I have been flying sailplanes with the
eventual goal of getting into competition soaring. This would not be
for a while, but we were wondering if it is common to find competition
sailplanes available for lease during a season? If so, what is a
'typical' cost range? Unfortunately the club and commercial operation
near us do not have any racing class aircraft available. Any advise
you may have for how we can eventually make our way into the
competition side of things is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

- Ian D.

county? State? Flight experience? What do you consider racing class? -
any particular actual class?

How many friends? Why not buy a shared glider?

Darryl

That was supposed to be "Country" -- presumably the USA, but don't make
us guess.

And the obvious answer at least in the USA is owners with well equipped
racing gliders will not want to lease them out. Or that occasional ones
like I have heard of almost end up as short-term partnerships with large
risk/cost assumptions from the renter/lessee. Most owners would not
lease their glider to anybody but highly experienced pilots. "I want to
rent your glider to fly my first contests" would scare most sane owners
away. You need a very supportive club or an owners syndicate or find
somebody with a Duo or similar and try some two seater racing to try
things out. The sports class offers a wide possibility in what you can
get started with.

Darryl

Looking for anyone interested in leasing back their cirrus sr20 for aflight school [email protected] Piloting 3 December 5th 07 01:36 PM
Leasing Privately Owned Aircraft Bartscher Owning 8 January 10th 05 05:10 PM
Purchase a Info on Purchasing a Plane and Leasing Back to a School pjbphd Piloting 3 August 30th 04 02:10 AM
50+:1 15m sailplanes Paul T Soaring 92 January 19th 04 01:59 AM
NY Times OPEd article on Tanker Leasing John Bailey Military Aviation 13 November 1st 03 05:05 AM