Here's evidence why the gov't assholes overreacted.

Old May 12th 05, 07:27 PM
Andrew Gideon

John T wrote:

What's the lightest known nuclear bomb weigh?Â*Â*"Nuclear"Â*asÂ*inÂ*"fission"
or "fusion", not merely "dirty" with radioactive material.

I don't know that it's true, of course, but I've read several times that the
old Soviet Union had managed to build "suitcase" bombs. Of course, that
addresses more volume than mass, but I'd guess that these would be designed
to weigh as little as possible.

Still, and aircraft would be a poor way to deliver a nuke into DC when cars,
vans, trucks, and USPS deliveries are all available alternatives. If there
were a serious interest in security, these would all be kept out.

- Andrew

Old May 12th 05, 07:51 PM
John Galban

Dylan Smith wrote:

It would have been better if they
had stayed where they are and saved the energy, instead of

demonstrating
to potential terrorists how easily they can be terrorized.

Exactly! It has now been demonstrated that two people flying a
trainer with the destructive power of a Mini Cooper can bring the U.S.
government to a grinding halt. Not only does everything stop, but there
is the bonus of worldwide news coverage showing outright panic in the
streets. If I were a terrorist, I would be overjoyed. My job has been
done for me.

When I contrast yesterday's embarrasment with the real threats that
troops are expected to face daily in Iraq, I am convinced that we have
become a nation of cowards.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old May 12th 05, 08:10 PM
Sport Pilot

All an airliner would have to do is turn left on a north bound flight
out instead of right. It will hit the WH before they can raise the
warning, no transponder tricks required.

Old May 12th 05, 08:51 PM
Andrew Gideon

John Galban wrote:

I am convinced that we have
become a nation of cowards.

More accurately: a nation willing to be governed by cowards. I think that
this is worse that what you've written.

- Andrew

Old May 12th 05, 09:26 PM
Peter Duniho

"John Galban" wrote in message
ups.com...
Exactly! It has now been demonstrated that two people flying a
trainer with the destructive power of a Mini Cooper can bring the U.S.
government to a grinding halt.

It's worse than that. It has now been demonstrated that if you want to get
all the folks in the Capitol Building all grouped together out in the street
where they are sitting ducks for a guy with an assault rifle, all you have
to do is fly a Cessna 150 into the area.

[...]
When I contrast yesterday's embarrasment with the real threats that
troops are expected to face daily in Iraq, I am convinced that we have
become a nation of cowards.

Andrew says we are governed by cowards. Granted, some of our government may
be. However, I am convinced that others (and especially those in positions
of greater power) are simply using fear to achieve their own underhanded
goals.

On the bright side, a Washington State US Representative, Jim McDermott, was
quoted on the evening news last night, saying basically "all of this panic
is stupid" (I'm paraphrasing...he said it much better). Obviously, not all
of our government is buying into the scare tactics. There may be hope yet.

Pete

Old May 12th 05, 09:31 PM
Andrew Gideon

Peter Duniho wrote:

However,Â*IÂ*amÂ*convincedÂ*thatÂ*othersÂ*(andÂ*es peciallyÂ*thoseÂ*inÂ*positions
of greater power) are simply using fear to achieve their own underhanded
goals.

I'll agree to that. However, for fear to be exploited as you describe it
must exist.

Perhaps John's description was in fact more accurate than my own.

- Andrew

Old May 12th 05, 10:41 PM
Ron Natalie

Sport Pilot wrote:
All an airliner would have to do is turn left on a north bound flight
out instead of right. It will hit the WH before they can raise the
warning, no transponder tricks required.

Jeez, you think that may have already happened once?
Old May 13th 05, 01:06 AM
Happy Dog

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Sport Pilot wrote:

If I were a terrorist I would squawk a random number.
That way the conrollers would think it was simply an airliner that
didn't get entered in the system.

Or you'd arrange for a bunch of transponders to be driving all over the
city
on a 1200 code, presuming (from the post before yours) that these are as
visible as those airborne.

They're not.

moo

Old May 13th 05, 01:08 AM
Happy Dog

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
John T wrote:

What's the lightest known nuclear bomb weigh? "Nuclear" as in "fission"
or "fusion", not merely "dirty" with radioactive material.

I don't know that it's true, of course, but I've read several times that
the
old Soviet Union had managed to build "suitcase" bombs. Of course, that
addresses more volume than mass, but I'd guess that these would be
designed
to weigh as little as possible.

Still, and aircraft would be a poor way to deliver a nuke into DC when
cars,
vans, trucks, and USPS deliveries are all available alternatives. If
there
were a serious interest in security, these would all be kept out.

Yes. And anyone with the resources to acquire a suitcase nuke would have
the resources to use a more reliable delivery method.

moo

Old May 13th 05, 04:28 AM
George Patterson

John T wrote:

What's the lightest known nuclear bomb weigh?

According to stuff posted in another thread, about 71 pounds.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.