boycott united forever

Old May 12th 05, 09:05 PM
Jay Honeck

Unless you're a pilot, forced to retire at 60 by the FARs. Then you
get $28k to live on because you "retired early." Worked hard to build
a nice house? You're going to have to sell it -- you won't be able to
afford the taxes on it.

That's not what NPR said -- although it IS the pilots who will be hurt the
most.

The way they put it, after clearing a 6-figure income as a United pilot, a
retired United pilot would be capped at "only" $45K annually under the new
plan, despite the fact that his higher past salary entitled him to a MUCH
higher pension payment under the old retirement plan.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 12th 05, 09:21 PM
gatt

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message news:cNNge.76189

Speaking as one of the millions who have never had a pension plan -- and
never will -- $45K per year for sitting around the house sounds pretty
danged good.

Of course, that pension will now be paid out by We, the People, instead of
They, the Stockholders...

Yep. Corporate welfare, and never a demand for accountability.

You guys suppose that if a General destroyed his entire brigade or division,
they'd give him a $1.5 million dollar pension and let it go?

-c

Old May 12th 05, 09:22 PM
kontiki

gatt wrote:
My dad worked for 24 years at UAL-PDX. Laid him off in his 24th year, a
year before he was eligible for full retirement. He was UAL-PDX employee
of the year a couple of times, received all kinds of awards and bonuses...he
received one award for not missing a day of work for something like five
years.

Years later, some new jackass comes along, wrecks the company and walks off
with a $1.5 million guaranteed pension after a trivial amount of time.
Meanwhile, the pilots, flight attendants and everybody else who MADE UNITED
WHAT IT WAS are screwed out of their contracted pension.

snip

Welcome to the club. Those of us who have been FORCED to participate in the
ponzi scheme known as Social Security for the past 30 years are looking at
getting pennies on the dollar compare to what we paid in.

People should be responsible for their OWN retirement plans. I have always paid
the maximum amount into social [in]security over the years. Had I been able
to manage that money myself I could be retired by now. As it is, that money has
been spent (squandered would be a better term) and one day they will tell me
"sorry but we can't 'afford' to pay you your money. Fortunately I have maintained
a ROTH IRA where I have been able to manage my OWN money.

When you abrogate your responsibilities to others you become dependent on them.

Old May 12th 05, 09:27 PM
gatt

Lets see. I'm already boycotting US Airways forever (They gave away our
seats on a connecting flight for a weekend trip). Now I have to boycott
United.

Damn good thing I've got my own plane.

Sir, you are a role model. :

-c

Old May 12th 05, 09:29 PM
Andrew Gideon

gatt wrote:

You guys suppose that if a General destroyed his entire brigade or
division, they'd give him a $1.5 million dollar pension and let it go?

No, but he might receive an award from the President.

- Andrew

Old May 12th 05, 09:32 PM
gatt

"RomeoMike" wrote in message

I feel a lot of sympathy for your dad, but he will still get a pension
(I heard up to 3/4th of what it was supposed to be) at taxpayers'
expense. If United is boycotted, where will all the layed off employees
go? No pension, but no job!

They're probably better off finding work at a company that won't screw them
and the taxpayers based on poor executive decisions.

Something has to happen, cause this sort of nonsense just keeps continuing.
Hewlett-Packard is another classic example. Carli the Destroyer got tens of
million dollars in severance plus $50,000 for--get this--"career
counseling"--meanwhile, a friend of mine who has been an engineer and
designer in their most successful business unit is one of seven remaining
from a team of over 50, and he's expecting to be laid off within the year.

Like United, the people who made the company what it is suffer. The ones
who wreck it walk away with millions. At some point, it becomes a matter
of America's best interest to make an extreme example of someone.

-c

Old May 12th 05, 09:34 PM
gatt

If they're smart, they'll leave. The company has already shown what its
word is worth. Would you work for someone that broke promises to pay you?

My dad worked there for 24 years. They laid him off before he could retire,
but he was promised his pension when he reached retirement age. Too late
for to "leave."

Are you saying my father isn't "smart"? Are you saying that company loyalty
and hard work isn't smart?

-c

Old May 12th 05, 09:41 PM
Jay Honeck

Are you saying my father isn't "smart"? Are you saying that company
loyalty
and hard work isn't smart?

No, your father was crapped on.

"Company loyalty" is a myth. In my years in the corporate world, I saw no
loyalty, either from the company, or from the workers.

Which is just one reason I choose to be in business for myself, despite the
risks.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

No US soldier should have 2 die for Israel 4 oil Ewe n0 who Naval Aviation 0 April 7th 04 07:31 PM
Osama bin Laaden Big John Piloting 2 January 12th 04 05:05 AM
Big Kahunas Jay Honeck Piloting 360 December 20th 03 01:59 AM
Two Years of War Stop Spam! Military Aviation 3 October 9th 03 11:05 AM
U.S. is losing the sympathy of the world John Mullen Military Aviation 149 September 22nd 03 03:42 PM