Cross country to Canada

Old May 16th 05, 01:07 AM
Grumman-581

wrote in message
oups.com...
There's a popular TV show here in Canada that gets a lot of laughs
about the ignorance of Americans. I'm sure thay have to talk to a LOT
of Americans to find the material they need to get the laughs, but
there are some hilarious stories about the misconceptions many have
about Canada, Canadians and Canadian weather and topography.

I'm not above perpetuating the stereotypes of Canada just like I do of
Texas... Of course, for the stereotypes to have developed, there must be
some truth in them...

Cold is one of those. In the North the days are very long in
the summer, with the result that there can be vast numbers of huge
insects, hot weather, and people who can grow huge vegetables in their
gardens. So much daylight, see. In the winter it can often be colder
here in southern Alberta (near Montana) than it is 1000 miles north of
here. In the winter in Vancouver and Victoria people are often golfing,
on green grass. Toronto can have wicked winter weather but it's about
as far south as southern Oregon. I grew up In Kamloops, BC, which is
the northern tip of the Sonora Desert, with cactus and sagebrush and
Ponderosa Pine trees and everything. Latitude often has nothing to do
with weather; it's the presence of mountains and water that affects it.

Hell, if you're gonna bring *logic* into this conversation, I'm leavin'...
grin

Old May 16th 05, 02:05 AM

I was planning to fly to Gimli on Lake Winnipeg last year, but the trip
fell apart. You need a radio operator's licence and the airplane needs
a radio station licence to fly in Canada. You also need proof of
insurance.

Check out the following website for additional information:
Http://www.copanational.org/non-memb...reYouLegal.htm

(I grew up about three hours drive from Winnipeg in the beautiful Red
River Valley of North Dakota.)

Kevin Dunlevy

Old May 16th 05, 02:06 AM
JJS

"private" wrote in message
I can't help you with terrain but

When the local FSS were closed NavCan recognized that the briefers
in the
centers may lack the local knowledge that the local FSS had
provided. A
project to gather this local knowledge for briefer training lead to
the
production of weather manuals for each of the weather regions.
These
manuals are available on their website. The general weather chapter
seems
to be common to each manual.

for weather manuals

http://www.navcanada.ca
click english
under flight operations
click local weather manuals

for aviation weather

http://www.navcanada.ca
click english
under flight operations
click aviation weather web site
click route data tab(my favorite) or local data tab

Blue skies to all

snip

Bull's-eye!! Anyone interested should go back and read my questions
about local terrain and weather and then check this out. Here's an
example:
Northwestern Ontario is a vast area, much of which lies on the gently
inclining,

rocky and forested terrain of the Canadian Shield. A myriad of lakes
cover the region

and pilots flying it for the first time often find it disorienting,
saying that after a period

of time "it can all start to look the same." Broad sections of the
Shield are also subject

to cloud development under conditions of upslope flow and, while much
of the

terrain is low in elevation, cloud can engulf power lines and
communication towers

perched atop the higher hills making them difficult to see.

A north or northwest flow is upslope across much of this region, and
at Pickle Lake

this is also true for winds out of the west. Winds from these
directions can often generate

broken cloud cover in the absence of larger scale weather systems.
This is frequently

the case in late summer or early winter when prevailing winds begin to
favour

the west or northwest and moisture is still freely available from open
water. In addition,

because of upslope, this region is often slow to clear following the
passage of

frontal systems under a west or northwest flow.

Lake effect convection and precipitation is common to the lee of some
of the larger

lakes where wind direction favours airflow over longer fetches of open
water. This

is most pronounced in the late summer and early winter. Lake effect
convection can

cause marked reduction in local ceilings and visibility, due to
showers. Local reports

of one half mile to one quarter mile visibility in lake effect snow
showers occur relatively

frequently and these conditions can persist over several hours.

Thunderstorms, on average, occur 15 to 20 times per season. They
commonly

develop throughout the summer, peak in frequency during July, and
rarely occur outside

the period between May and September.Widely spaced air mass
thunderstorms

are common, however, more organised lines of thunderstorm activity
often accompany

the passage of cold fronts.

Fog does make an appearance but usually only reduces visibility to
less than half a

mile 2 or 3 times per month. The occurrence of fog is higher in late
summer and early

winter while lakes and rivers remain open and much less frequent after
freeze up.

Radiation fog is the most common, often generating poor visibility
within a few hours

of sunrise, and rarely lasts until the afternoon. Ice fog will
sometimes occur near these

communities in the winter, developing from moisture associated with
chimney smoke

that forms into ice crystals under cold, calm conditions. Aircraft
engine exhaust can

also quickly trigger local ice fog development and temporarily
restrict airport visibility,

until ice crystals gradually settle out.

Blowing snow is not a common occurrence but does occur with greater
frequency

at some of the more exposed sites, like Big Trout Lake.

Based on the above information, I will definitely try and fly the last
leg on a second day in order to be rested. There is a plethora of
applicable information at these links.
Much obliged, Private.

Old May 16th 05, 02:27 AM
JJS

"Icebound" wrote in message

"JJS" jschneider@remove socks cebridge.net wrote in message

"Icebound" wrote in message

A lot of the small commercial operations and most of the private
operation in the area is probably done on floats. This is not
just an area of "very few emergency landing sites", it is also
"very few settlements or habitation", especially north of Kenora.

The trip was planned by other people many months ago. .......
Rather than drive the 1381 miles which I've been told takes about
24 hours, I'd much prefer to fly for 10 or 12, and think it would
be quite an adventure.

You might want to take the survival-equipment regulations seriously:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Re...602.htm#602_61

especially for the 80 nautical miles north of Kenora to Red Lake.

It is *only* 80 miles but you will have to be prepared to be
intimidated (on wheels) if you haven't flown over
sparsely-settled-continuous-forest-and-water areas before. Even so,
although surface settlements are sparse, there ought to be quite a
bit of traffic (float traffic) along that route, especially in the
immediate vicinity of Kenora and Red Lake.

And the YRL VOR and RL ndb should help you find the place, if you
are so equipped :-)

You mentioned that you have the "charts". Do you also have the
Aerodrome Facilities information (Canadian Flight Supplement)
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q1312341B
You would want the pages for Red Lake, of course, and probably
Kenora. Maybe a few others "near" the route, Ear Lake, Vermillion
Bay, etc.

Don't forget that in Canada you *must* file a flight plan with FSS
(or a flight itinerary with a responsible person who will contact
FSS), even for Day VFR.

I had not ordered the Aerodrome Facilities information yet. I will
do so, ASAP. I'll take the survival regs seriously as well. Thanks
again.

Old May 16th 05, 02:35 AM
JJS

Earlier I posted along with other questions:

"I would appreciate any advice on airports and small airplane
friendly FBO's along the 900 + nautical mile route from Woodward,
Ok.(KWWR) - Grand Island, Ne. (KGRI) - Sioux Falls, SD (KFSD) -
Baudette, Mn (KBDE) - Red Lake, Ontario (CYRL).

Due to the trip length we will probably overnight in Baudette or
somewhere near and I would appreciate recommendations concerning
hotel, rental or courtesy car, and eatery accommodations in that
area. AirNav.com's fuel price data is pitifully ancient on many
airports along this route.
If anyone has used Baudette customs coming back into the states,
I would like to hear of your experiences there."

I've had most of my questions answered but, I am still looking for the
group's experience on the above. Any takers?

Old May 16th 05, 04:24 AM
private

Glad to be of help. I would recommend these manuals to any student of
weather and would suggest they be required reading for anyone planning a
visit. There are good sections on mountain weather that would be of
interest to anyone flying to Alaska.

I totally agree with other posters that the most important survival
equipment (next to what is between your ears) is insect repellent. I would
also suggest tight weave long sleeve shirts. Often it is sufficient to
apply repellant only to clothing cuffs and collars and to your hat, but make
sure you have lots. Deet is good and many like Avon "skin so soft".

Blue skies to all

Old May 16th 05, 04:45 AM
Morgans

"private" wrote

.. I would
also suggest tight weave long sleeve shirts. Often it is sufficient to
apply repellant only to clothing cuffs and collars and to your hat, but

make
sure you have lots. Deet is good and many like Avon "skin so soft".

Long sleeves, no doubt, and a bandanna, or such to cover your neck, and some
cotton gloves. In other words, cover every bit of your skin. A hat with a
skeeter net hanging off it wouldn't hurt. Many of you will say that this is
all overkill, but I can not STAND the buggers walking all over me! I had a
couple episodes with the black flies walking around on my arms, but not
biting, and it almost drove me nuts.

Also, having also spent some time in the Amazon's rain forests, you need
much more than the Deepwoods Off, up north. There is a deet product that
you can get that has much more deet than Off, and works a million times
better. I can't remember right now, but I think it is 20% deet, in a small
bottle.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 16th 05, 04:59 AM
George Patterson

Morgans wrote:

There is a deet product that
you can get that has much more deet than Off, and works a million times
better. I can't remember right now, but I think it is 20% deet, in a small
bottle.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=131536

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 16th 05, 09:01 AM
Happy Dog

wrote in message

I was planning to fly to Gimli on Lake Winnipeg last year, but the trip
fell apart. You need a radio operator's licence and the airplane needs
a radio station licence to fly in Canada. You also need proof of
insurance.

Idiot. Did you ask anyone about this sort of trip?

Old May 16th 05, 10:53 AM
Peter Duniho

"Wolfgang Schwanke" wrote in message
Opinions differ. There are privacy issues involved. Does profiling ring
a bell?

Privacy issues in a public forum?

Right.

Would you want e.g. a future employer of yours be able to
search through years of your usenet history and form an opinion on your
personality, interests, political leanings etc. based on it?

Why shouldn't they? Inasmuch as a person does express those things
publicly, why should they be concerned that an employer (for example) might
learn about them from that public forum? IMHO, a person who is concerned
someone might get a negative impression ought not to MAKE a negative
impression.

Including
all those posts you did while in a bad temper, drunk, or confused?

If those posts occurred often enough that they would actually make up a
significant portion of an employer's impression, then they would be a
legitimate contributor to that impression. And why not? If a person is
constantly in a bad temper, drunk, or confused, an employer would probably
want to know about that.

Again...don't want to make a bad impression? Then don't make a bad
impression.

Of
course you could stop posting at all, but that's no fun. x-no-archive
is a good way out of this dilemma.

I'm not ready to say there is simply no justification for x-no-archive.
There may well be one that I don't see right now.

But as far as the "I don't want people to judge me" aspect, that's just BS.
First of all, you can always post anonymously. Secondly, if a person isn't
willing to live with their public behavior, they need to rethink their
public behavior. Telling the rest of the public to "just ignore what I
said" is a pretty cowardly way out, showing a lack of good character.

Frankly, if I were an employer checking Usenet as part of a job interview or
review or whatever (and I'd have to be an employer with a LOT of time on my
hands to justify that...the idea that an employer might do this seems, in
and of itself, pretty paranoid to me), if I saw a person who was using
x-no-archive, I'd just form my opinion based on the two or three weeks
available on my ISP (or Google, or whatever). Furthermore, the use of
x-no-archive would reflect poorly on the person. On top of all of that,
what if those two or three weeks just happen to be the weeks that person was
having trouble (bad temper, drunk, confused, whatever)? They've just shot
themselves in the foot, because there's no history beyond that to
counter-act the recent poor behavior.

If you don't want to be profiled, you need to stay off Usenet completely.
There's always SOME context for someone to profile you, if you are posting
here.

I don't think other people have any
right to complain. All posters should have absolute control on what
gets archived about them, and their decision is no business of others.

Baloney. For those that are concerned, I suppose it's nice that Google (and
other archives?) respect the x-no-archive field. But there's nothing
forcing anyone to respect that field, and no person who posts something to a
public forum like Usenet has any right or expectation that their post won't
live on forever in someone's archive.

You got one thing right: there's no "decision" per se, so no..."their
decision" isn't any business of others, being non-existent. You can't
"decide" for someone else what they will do.

The USENET
archives are great search tools and the x-archive crap attempts to

defeat
that...

If the OP hadn't posted at all, it also wouldn't be archived. So what
is lost?

As far as I know, the scenarios being discussed here are using x-no-archive
and not using x-no-archive. How does the "hadn't posted at all" come into
play? The OP had a question...they would have had a pretty tough time
getting it answered here without posting it.

The answers (of those who don't x-no-archive) will be
searchable anyway.

The answers may not make a lot of sense without the original post.

Now, granted, Usenet users are almost all clueless about proper etiquette
anyway and insist on quoting the previous post in its entirety (usually
top-posting too). But a) one probably shouldn't count on it, and b) that
behavior completely negates the x-no-archive field anyway.

However you look at it, x-no-archive just makes no sense, not for the idea
of protecting one's reputation or anything like that. I can't see getting
my shorts in a twist over someone using it, but neither can I see any
serious argument for a person using it as a standard practice while posting
to Usenet.

Pete