Opinions on the A/W95 chopper?

Old January 9th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Chief McGee

Default Opinions on the A/W95 chopper?

Since we are discussing designs:

http://www.vortechonline.com/aw95/

Old January 9th 07, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601XL Builder

Chief McGee wrote:
Since we are discussing designs:

http://www.vortechonline.com/aw95/

I'd like to see if they have anything to back up this statement in the FAQ.

"However, a well-constructed A/W 95 will typically have a high re-sale
value—if you ever decide to sell it!"

Old January 10th 07, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Upp

While the AW95 is a viable hop around the local patch implement once
completed is more of a build to sublimate or educate rather than
recreate. Same with the original Adams-Wilson except that all current
homebuilt designs marketed as plans or kits have a direct linage to the
Adams-Wilson design . Although much evolved

Exception to the Mosquito though as the design is so far removed in
concept from the A/W.

Old January 10th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

While the AW95 is a viable hop around the local patch implement once
completed is more of a build to sublimate or educate rather than
recreate. Same with the original Adams-Wilson except that all current
homebuilt designs marketed as plans or kits have a direct linage to the
Adams-Wilson design . Although much evolved

This brings up an old question that I have wondered about, and may be
supplying a partial answer. But I really am curious:

It seems that all of the homebuild helicopter designs that I have ever seen,
both kit and plans, have a very small main rotor diameter--around 20 feet.
It seems as though a larger diameter, maybe arund 30 feet, would require
much less power and would allow much more economical engines to be
used--possibly with nearly the same total weight. After all, the weight of
the main rotor ad the tail boom should not be a very large portion of the
gross weight of the helicopter.

The only reasons that presently occur to me a
1 The first one was that way, and "new" designs are incremental
2 There was/is a design goal to store the craft in a one car garage
3 That is the smallest for with sufficient power is readily available

Is there something I missed, which should have been obvious?

Peter
(I am not trolling, I am just baffled)