Coming home from Houston Sunday...

Old July 24th 08, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Default Coming home from Houston Sunday...

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Wheels up means gear up, period.

I learned it as "departing the field".

Sorry!
Old July 24th 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RST Engineering

Excuse me, sir, I've used it to refer to fixed gear aircraft departing a
runway for some 45 years and 5000 hours, taught it to a few hundred
students, and was taught it by MY instructors long before you ever became a
pilot methinks ... or perhaps while you were still in liquid form?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."

What it was was Jay distorting an aviation term to sound hip.

Bertie

Old July 24th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

B A R R Y wrote in news:yvPhk.14041$cW3.8544
@nlpi064.nbdc.sbc.com:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Wheels up means gear up, period.

I learned it as "departing the field".

Sorry!

That'd be "Airborne"

Bertie
Old July 24th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 23, 8:11 pm, "RST Engineering" wrote:
Excuse me, sir, I've used it to refer to fixed gear aircraft departing a
runway for some 45 years and 5000 hours, taught it to a few hundred
students, and was taught it by MY instructors long before you ever became a
pilot methinks ... or perhaps while you were still in liquid form?

Jim

--
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought
without accepting it."
--Aristotle

What it was was Jay distorting an aviation term to sound hip.

Bertie

You'd have to look pretty far to find a pilot who was confused by
Jay's wheels up comment when talking about that airplane. If it's
understood, it's good communication. Let's do a poll -- all who
understood it meant departing, remain sitting comfortably. All who
didn't, let's see -- yes, move to Paris.
Old July 24th 08, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

That'd be "Airborne"

I can't count the times I've hear instructors say:

"I want to be be wheels-up by 1930..." To tell a student to be ready to
be ready to go.

Maybe it's regional, but I don't think so!
Old July 24th 08, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Jul 23, 8:19 pm, wrote:
[...]

But, "take off" would have been better!
Old July 24th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

B A R R Y wrote in news:tTPhk.18342$Ri.7069
@flpi146.ffdc.sbc.com:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

That'd be "Airborne"

I can't count the times I've hear instructors say:

"I want to be be wheels-up by 1930..." To tell a student to be ready to
be ready to go.

Maybe it's regional, but I don't think so!

Nah, it's common enough. it's further of evidence of terminology going down
the ****ter.

Bertie
Old July 24th 08, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"RST Engineering" wrote in
m:

Excuse me, sir, I've used it to refer to fixed gear aircraft departing
a runway for some 45 years and 5000 hours, taught it to a few hundred
students, and was taught it by MY instructors long before you ever
became a pilot methinks ... or perhaps while you were still in liquid
form?

Only 5,000 hours and 45 years?

OK sonny.

Bertie
Old July 24th 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
f-newguy

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
"RST Engineering" wrote in
m:

Excuse me, sir, I've used it to refer to fixed gear aircraft departing
a runway for some 45 years and 5000 hours, taught it to a few hundred
students, and was taught it by MY instructors long before you ever
became a pilot methinks ... or perhaps while you were still in liquid
form?

Only 5,000 hours and 45 years?

OK sonny.

That's about normal for a private pilot, no?

I've got 1,300 in 10.

HOUSTON Lear-1 Aviation Photos 9 June 12th 08 02:43 AM
When are the soldiers coming home ? [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 September 13th 07 04:21 PM
Exclusive Custom Home Plans, and Essential information about building your New Home orange tree Home Built 4 November 20th 05 04:37 PM
GA in Houston [email protected] Piloting 40 April 1st 05 03:12 PM
Houston Instructor? John Westerlage Aerobatics 2 March 1st 05 03:12 AM