Radio recommendations

Old October 1st 07, 05:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fortunat1[_22_]

Default Radio recommendations

Looking for some advice on a basic radio installation. Sport flying only.
Probably just a comm and x-ponder though a nav reciever oculd be included
if the cost difference isn't too much.
I've been looking around the net and am only getting confused.
VFR day flying only, no altitude reporting is neccesary and I want to go
cheap. Second hand preferred, but if it's a flase economy, then new.
Most of all I don't want th eairplane living in the damned radio shop.
Icoms OK? They seem to be good value for money..

F1
Old October 1st 07, 01:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:07:56 +0000 (UTC), Fortunat1 wrote:

Looking for some advice on a basic radio installation. Sport flying only.
Probably just a comm and x-ponder though a nav reciever oculd be included
if the cost difference isn't too much.
I've been looking around the net and am only getting confused.
VFR day flying only, no altitude reporting is neccesary and I want to go
cheap. Second hand preferred, but if it's a flase economy, then new.
Most of all I don't want th eairplane living in the damned radio shop.
Icoms OK? They seem to be good value for money..

F1

icom A-200 would be the gold standard in aircraft radios.
they are lovely little things. simple and reliable.
they work well with Jim Weir's intercom.

Stealth Pilot
Old October 1st 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Fortunat1

Stealth Pilot wrote in
:

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 04:07:56 +0000 (UTC), Fortunat1 wrote:

Looking for some advice on a basic radio installation. Sport flying
only. Probably just a comm and x-ponder though a nav reciever oculd be
included if the cost difference isn't too much.
I've been looking around the net and am only getting confused.
VFR day flying only, no altitude reporting is neccesary and I want to
go cheap. Second hand preferred, but if it's a flase economy, then
new. Most of all I don't want th eairplane living in the damned radio
shop. Icoms OK? They seem to be good value for money..

F1

icom A-200 would be the gold standard in aircraft radios.
they are lovely little things. simple and reliable.
they work well with Jim Weir's intercom.

Excellent. Thanks. Just what I wanted to know. I wasn't so sure about the
ICOM, thinking it was too cheap to be wholesome

F1
Old October 1st 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Fortunat1 wrote:
Stealth Pilot wrote in
:

[...]

I have an A-210 on order and it should be here
soon. 2 receivers, built-in 2-place intercom
and auto frequency change from GPS data.

ICOM stuff in general is reliable and cost-
effective.

I'll let the group know how it works out.

Old October 2nd 07, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Fortunat1 wrote:
Looking for some advice on a basic radio installation. Sport flying only.
Probably just a comm and x-ponder though a nav reciever oculd be included
if the cost difference isn't too much.
I've been looking around the net and am only getting confused.
VFR day flying only, no altitude reporting is neccesary and I want to go
cheap. Second hand preferred, but if it's a flase economy, then new.
Most of all I don't want th eairplane living in the damned radio shop.
Icoms OK? They seem to be good value for money..

F1

KX 135 gives you Com with VFR GPS. Not a bad package.
Old October 2nd 07, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jim Stewart wrote:

I have an A-210 on order and it should be here
soon. 2 receivers, built-in 2-place intercom
and auto frequency change from GPS data.

ICOM stuff in general is reliable and cost-
effective.

I'll let the group know how it works out.

Who do you have it ordered from. I found it he
http://www.icomradiosdirect.com/a210.html but it is not listed at ICOM's
website.

Old October 2nd 07, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
JGalban via AviationKB.com

Jim Stewart wrote:

I have an A-210 on order and it should be here
soon. 2 receivers, built-in 2-place intercom
and auto frequency change from GPS data.

ICOM stuff in general is reliable and cost-
effective.

I'll let the group know how it works out.

I picked up an A-200 this year as a slide-in replacement for my old King KY-
97 ($800 for the TSO'd version). Great radio! As a matter of fact, I'm
thinking of buying another one to replace my #2 radio, which is a Narco
Escort II nav/com. The nav side hasn't worked in years, so all I really need
is a backup com.

I checked out the specs on the new A-210. Many of the bells and whistles
on the new model wouldn't help (already have an intercom and my old GPS won't
transmit frequency data). I don't think I could justify the extra $500.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Recommendations - near FLL Hilton Piloting 2 March 16th 05 06:04 AM
CHT recommendations Dude Owning 3 December 26th 04 05:07 PM
MFD recommendations Richard Kaplan Products 13 January 27th 04 04:04 PM
Kit recommendations another fool Home Built 9 November 10th 03 03:29 PM
FA OLD AIRCRAFT RADIO TRANSMITTER STANDARD RADIO Ron Restoration 0 October 26th 03 12:02 AM