Blow out static port

Old May 3rd 05, 04:22 AM
Robert M. Gary

Yes. Sometimes its temping to write a one line answer, then you have to
remember that this is a newsgroup Of course its the recertifying
that is important not the opening, but I think that is obvious. Yes, if
you don't have an IFR cert for your plane its not important. Its been a
very long time since I've run across a plane without a current IFR
cert. All FBOs like to do instrument flying in their clubs planes, and
us owners like to fly IFR. Now, if I still had my Aeronca, I might
agree with you more.

-Robert

Old May 3rd 05, 04:25 AM
Robert M. Gary

Jim, you know more than I do. I've owned airplanes for over 10 years
now and never knew there was a difference between an avionics shop and
an "instrument repair facility". Anytime something is wrong in my panel
I just call Nat at Airborne Electronics at SAC. I've always called him
an avionics shop, perhaps he's really an "instrument repair facility".
The appropriate reg has been quoted twice now on this thread so I won't
requote it.

-Robert, CFI

Old May 3rd 05, 04:28 AM
Robert M. Gary

Some large A&P shops will have one guy who is certified to work on
avionics ("instrument repair" according to RST). However, most shops
use roving instrument guys who come by once or so a week. The
certification necessary to work on avionics is different than the A&P
certification.

I have run into this with aircraft owner's that are working on their
private tickets. Most don't realize that they need to have a
transponder inspection every 24 months for VFR flying. An A&P cannot
perform this test and most IA's don't mention this at annual because
they don't consider it their business.

-Robert

Old May 3rd 05, 05:12 AM
RST Engineering

OK, let's get this out in the open and done with.

Where is the regulation on what it means for an individual to be "certified"
to work on avionics or "certified" to work on instruments?

All the beer you can drink at Oshkosh (at one sitting) for the right answer.

Jim

oups.com...

Old May 3rd 05, 06:00 AM
Darrel Toepfer

RST Engineering wrote:

Where is the regulation on what it means for an individual to be "certified"
to work on avionics or "certified" to work on instruments?

The tech can be FAA certified as an "A" of the A&P, ie Airframe, the
work signoff comes from the Repair Station itself who oversees/approves
it...

FAA Certified aviation repair stations:
FAA Air Agency Certificate Instruments are divided into 4 Classes, 1
(Mechanical), 2 (Electrical), 3 (Gyroscopic), & 4 (Electronic)
Accessory Class 2 = Electrical Accessory Class 3 = Electronic
Radio Class 1: Communications Equipment
Radio Class 2: Navigational Equipment
There is also a Limited Airframe rating for the Repair Station.

JAA has JAR Acceptance Certificates

All the beer you can drink at Oshkosh (at one sitting) for the right answer.

So the short answer is, there isn't one... Will it have a Root in it?
Old May 3rd 05, 12:44 PM
Steve Foley

I won't provide the correct answer because:

a) You couldn't afford 'All the beer I can drink'

and

b) If a correct answer exists, I have no idea what it is.

Wait a minute!

The correct answer is: "I don't know"

Old May 3rd 05, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info.

I will be careful when I try to blow out the static ports.

Now I have to try something to prevent the larvea to block them.
The pitot is just a piece of bended tube under the wing, no problem
there.
The ports are two small holes on both sides of the fuselage just behind
the cockpit.
To cover them and attach something to it that makes it clear that they
are covered will become a challenge.

-Kees

Old May 3rd 05, 06:57 PM
Robert M. Gary

In this case "certified" is a colloquial term meaning "authorized by
the FAA". An A&P (or even an A ) is not necessary. However, you do need
to have specific radio training (even if you already have an A). The
FSDO issues the authorizations to repair radios based on a
demonstration of the required tools and manuals etc. The actual person
doing the work may or may not hold an FAA repairman's certificate of
any kind (although, in theory he could hold an A&P). Most people who
are authorized to perform avionics work are so busy doing that, they
have no reason to be A&Ps at the same time. The FAA generally refers to
avionics guys as "avionics technicians".
Here are some common FAA authorizations (as taken from a particular
shop)...

Radio Class I and II

Limited Radio
Various Transponders
Various DMEs

Limited Instrument
King HSI Indicator KG525A
King Attitude Indicator KG102A
Autopilot - S-Tec Model 40, 50, and 60

Limited Airframe
Radio and Instrument Install
Return to Service authorization

Limited Specialized Service
Static System, Altimeter, and Transponder certifications

Here are some references for you.

http://www3.ccps.virginia.edu/career...aftMechs.shtml
"In contrast to mechanics or repairmen, avionics technicians don't
necessarily need FAA certification, although this will probably change
once the FAA revises its certification process. Avionics technicians
usually need other types of certifications from one or more of these
associations: the National Association of Radio and Telecommunications
Engineers, Inc., the International Society of Certified Electronics
Technicians, or the Electronics Technicians Association. Avionics
technicians who service transmitting equipment--radios or radar--must
also hold a license from the Federal Communications Commission."

http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/mechanicbasic.cfm
"Do I need any other certificate to work on avionics equipment?

If you have an airframe certificate you don't need any other
certificate, but you must be **properly trained and qualified** and
have the proper tools and equipment. You can even work on avionics
equipment without a certificate if you have avionics repair experience
from the military or from working for avionics manufacturers and
related industries."

Most avionics guys have an FAA repairman certificate as well. Of
course, certain items such as autopilots require "type certificates" in
which the tech must prove to the FAA he has the specific tools to work
on that make/model of autopilot he wants to work on before the FSDO
issues the approval for that make/model of autopilot.

-Robert

Old May 4th 05, 02:09 AM
Ron Natalie

Robert M. Gary wrote:
Legally, if you disconnect the lines they must be recertified by an
avionics shop. Not even an A&P can disconnect static lines.

Only if you intend to fly IFR.

Is my static port leaking? Derrick Early Instrument Flight Rules 2 August 15th 04 01:13 AM
Why a static port? Paul Mennen Owning 11 August 19th 03 04:58 AM
Is a static port a precision thing? Larry Smith Home Built 8 August 12th 03 10:26 PM
Static in KX-165A Chad Lemmen Owning 3 July 21st 03 09:57 PM
Canard static port location Paul Lee Home Built 1 July 12th 03 02:55 AM