A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Home Built
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Corvair Conversion



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 24th 03, 10:16 PM
Gig Giacona
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Corvair Conversion

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR


  #2  
Old October 24th 03, 11:54 PM
Barnyard BOb --
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico
  #3  
Old October 25th 03, 01:00 AM
Morgans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message
...

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this

conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico


Hee, Hee, Hee

What, are you saying, I am as predictable as you?

Naaaaa!

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

Oh no, someone replaced my brain with barnyard's! Quick call EMS. I need
some padding, 'cause it is sloshing around, with all of that extra room!
g OK, I'll stop now!
--
Jim in NC



  #4  
Old October 25th 03, 02:10 AM
Bart D. Hull
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart
--
Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Morgans wrote:
"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message
...

I'm building a Zenith 601XL and have started to consider a Corvair
conversion to power it. I'd like to hear some opinions on this


conversion.

Gig Giacona
www.peoamerica.net/N601WR


+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico



Hee, Hee, Hee

What, are you saying, I am as predictable as you?

Naaaaa!

I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

Oh no, someone replaced my brain with barnyard's! Quick call EMS. I need
some padding, 'cause it is sloshing around, with all of that extra room!
g OK, I'll stop now!



  #5  
Old October 25th 03, 05:22 AM
Barnyard BOb --
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default




Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bob,

What makes you think I don't have "credentials" or
various flight certs? Even as a "youngster" at 35.


Your behavior.

Post what you got.
Embarrass me.
Show everybody how badly I missed the boat.
Now's your opportunity to really shine.
Go for it.
Let's see what a poor judge of character I am. g

Psssst. - No fibbing allowed.

Can you say ---
THESE ARE MY PERTENENT AVIATION CREDENTIALS ---
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.


  #6  
Old October 25th 03, 11:46 AM
Barnyard BOb --
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico



"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee


I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.


Barnyard BOb -- never again

  #7  
Old October 25th 03, 12:39 PM
Kevin Horton
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:10:11 -0700, Bart D. Hull wrote:

BOB Said:

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico



Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart


How do you figure that Bob recommended an auto-conversion?

He provided a URL without a recommendation one way or the other on the
Corvair engine, and then went on to recommend the use of a C-85 or O-200.
You've got some mighty strange autos in AZ if a C-85 or O-200 would be
considered an auto-conversion.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada
http://go.phpwebhosting.com/~khorton/rv8/
e-mail: khorton02(_at_)rogers(_dot_)com

  #8  
Old October 25th 03, 01:00 PM
Barnyard BOb --
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:39:24 GMT, Kevin Horton wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:10:11 -0700, Bart D. Hull wrote:

BOB Said:

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.

P.S.
Morgans, stay the hell out of this. g



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico



Damn,

I've been struck by a lightening bolt and sent to heaven.

BOB recommending a AUTO-CONVERSION?

Keep going Bob, your taking kiddie steps now.

Can you say Mazda rotary? Can you say Subaru? Can you say Honda-Lyc?

Bart


How do you figure that Bob recommended an auto-conversion?

He provided a URL without a recommendation one way or the other on the
Corvair engine, and then went on to recommend the use of a C-85 or O-200.
You've got some mighty strange autos in AZ if a C-85 or O-200 would be
considered an auto-conversion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for keeping the record straight, Kevin. ;-)

Gotta go FLY now, but you have set the tone for my day.
Have a great day yourself.


Barnyard BOb -- over 50 years of flight and still counting

  #9  
Old October 25th 03, 02:21 PM
Morgans
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"Barnyard BOb --" wrote in message
...

What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico



"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee


I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.


Barnyard BOb -- never again


Trying for some humor again. Sometimes I miss.

Really, the Corvair engine I had ran great out till 140,000, until the Ohio
salt ate the unibody. It was then sold to a guy to put in a Corvair van,
and ran for many years after that.

All that it ever needed was O-ring seals put in the pushrod tubes once a
year. My dad got to the point that he could do them all in less than a
hour. He made a special tool for the job.

I do think that if "I" were going to go for that (Corvair) power level, I
would go the C-85 or 0-200, since the Corvair has none of the other auto
engine benefits, and all (or most) of the airplane engine negatives.

The other thing is, I can't stand the thought of stealing a Corvair's
engine. g
--
Jim in NC


  #10  
Old October 25th 03, 05:06 PM
clare @ snyder.on .ca
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 05:46:38 -0500, Barnyard BOb --
wrote:


What you really need to know is at...
http://www.flycorvair.com/

However, my personal choice is a C-85 or 0-200.



Barnyard BOb -- 130 miles to Mexico



"Morgans" wrote:

Hee, Hee, Hee


I did own a Corvair. It was a better car engine than an airplane engine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I owned a Ford V-6 in 1997 - 1998 for 26,000 mi.

By your logic, that qualifies me to say the same about
the Ford V-6 to Bruce, Corky, Clare, et all.??????

BTW.....
In my full size truck, it was a POS by any measure.

A 3.8 as it comes from the factory? POS is being charitable.
Apparently they CAN be made into a decent engine. Ford has actually
come out with replacement bearings that do not disintegrate at the
smell of Glycol. (Fed Mogul, perhaps?) and some aftermarket gasket
kits will actually keep oil and antifreeze where they belong, and
prevent mixing of "bodily fluids".


Barnyard BOb -- never again


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V-8 powered Seabee Corky Scott Home Built 212 October 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Which Corvair engine JSoar Home Built 10 August 14th 03 02:48 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2024 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.