sneezing while flying helicopter

Old August 16th 03, 09:41 PM
Stan Gosnell

"Chris" wrote in
m:

One thing I learn from my days flying Hueys- if you're on a check-ride
and the IP asks if it's alright with you if he "lights one up", the
answer was always - sure, go right ahead! It helped immensely on the
outcome of that ride.

Absolutely. And I never cared, because I smoked, too. You never wanted a
cranky CW3 grading your ride - get some nicotine in his system (make sure
he has plenty of caffeine before you go out also) and he's much easier to
live with.

I swore when I quit that I would never be a 'reformed smoker' so I don't
complain about other people smoking, I just wish I had never started. Lots
of money burned up, nevermind the lung damage, although they were dirt
cheap at the commissary. I was paying $1.86/carton in Germany in 1982 when
I got out. The sticker shock in the civilian world was a big incentive to
quit.

--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 17th 03, 02:22 AM
Stu Fields

Understand..I was paying $1.00/carton whilst working for the USAF in Puerto
Rico. Even then we knew that they weren't doing anything positive for our
health Recent DER inspection on a new homebuilt Safari required the builder
to add a "no smoking" decal to the dash. It seems that FAA can reach
further than I thought.
Stu Fields.

Old August 23rd 03, 08:20 AM
Rod Buck

In message , Stu Fields
writes
Understand..I was paying $1.00/carton whilst working for the USAF in Puerto
Rico.

..
Well, as someone who quit aged 9, (one crafty drag in the schoolyard,
and I thought "these are awful, why does anyone DO this?") I'm amused by
the current costs in the UK.

As far as I can tell, a 20 pack is now around UKP 4. Call it $6????

(Mostly due to very high Govt tax - there's a lively smuggling industry
bringing tobacco in from the continent, where cigs are much cheaper.
Paradoxically, we're told that most of the tax on tobacco and booze goes
to fund our more-or-less free Health Service. Er - guys, if people
didn't drink and smoke, the costs of the Health Service would be less
than half what it is!)

And still people queue up to kill themselves, paying around $42 a week
or more for the privilege...who says there's intelligent life on earth?

What puzzles me is this:

How does anyone stick it long enough to get addicted?

I mean, no kid EVER lights up his first ciggy, and thinks...."Oh, GREAT,
this is what I've been waiting for all my life"

Let's face it, they all taste absolutely crap at first, no? So why does
anyone persist with it until they can't do without it?

I'm interested to know.....

--
Rod Buck
Old August 23rd 03, 10:33 PM
Rod Buck

In message , toadmonkey
writes
I've seen a lot fo family and friends fall to that. Maybe they'll be getting
jobs left and right, that's just fine. I'd rather be an honest poor man that
has respect for himself than a rich druggie that has to bend over and kiss ass
for a living.
TM

Yeah, I can see that some firms might want guys that fit into the
corporate culture (IE respond to peer pressure). Original thinkers
usually ask too many awkward questions, don't they?
--
Rod Buck
Old August 27th 03, 06:24 PM
Rod Buck

In message , Stan Gosnell
writes
.
Nicotine is highly addictive - probably at least as addictive as
cocaine, heroin, or any other drug. Once you get started, it's
very, very tough to quit.

I think it's probably far MORE addictive - although never a smoker,
like I say, I rejected them as a kid - one only has to look at the
numbers involved, and compare it to other drugs to see that nicotine is
by far the most addictive.

I speak from experience, too - after a bad accident at work, with a 30ft
fall from a rooftop into the yard, (the worst landing I ever made!) I
had a month-long stay in Intensive Care, with many broken bones. I was
on large doses of Heroin and Morphine for pain relief for 2 months
afterwards - in fact ,when my wife went to the pharmacist to get the
supplies, he thought I had terminal cancer when he looked at the
doses...

Anyway, I never got the slightest "high" from either drug - I was just
damn glad of the pain relief - and did staged withdrawal over 3 months
or so without any addictive problems at all.

Later on, the Senior Anaesthetist (Anaestheologist in USA?) later told
me that, if people are in severe pain ,you can whack enormous doses of
morphine etc into them, and they don't get addicted at all - the brain
breaks it down as fast as you provide it whilst countering the pain
stimulus.

He said that people only get addicted if you provide large doses to them
when they're NOT in severe pain. And even then, it's only a minority of
people that have any great problem getting off - the personality has a
lot to do with it, he said. People get addicted to shopping, gambling,
sex, you name it. Narcotic drugs is only one other example.

But nicotine is far more insidious, and affects a wider band of people -
and addiction is easily obtained, as, of course, no one NEEDS the stuff
before they get it - like wounded guys need morphine. So, you try it a
few times, and...

--
Rod Buck
Old September 1st 03, 01:35 AM
Micbloo

Later on, the Senior Anaesthetist (Anaestheologist in USA?) later told
me that, if people are in severe pain ,you can whack enormous doses of
morphine etc into them, and they don't get addicted at all - the brain
breaks it down as fast as you provide it whilst countering the pain
stimulus.

When I had a kidney stone about 14 years ago they had to use morphine to ease
my pain. It worked and I never felt...high or buzzed. Just happily NOT in
pain anymore.

Gerard