Pop out floats on a 206BIII

Old September 5th 03, 02:17 AM
Micbloo

H'mm, there was a real 'cruise ship' heading out of the bay while we were
passing
Alcatraz, but that was a modern slab-sided thing that looked like an
apartment
building that floats.

Yeah, that was the one I saw. BTW, can you go all the way up to Sacramento
by water? I was checking my AAA atlas last night and didnt realize how close
Sacramento was to SF.

Just so you know for next time,

Thanks for the info.

Right down the peninsula from San Francisco, at the San Carlos Airport.

FYI:

Wow, didnt realize how close it was.

Gerard
Old September 5th 03, 09:47 AM
Guy Alcala

Micbloo wrote:

H'mm, there was a real 'cruise ship' heading out of the bay while we were
passing
Alcatraz, but that was a modern slab-sided thing that looked like an
apartment
building that floats.

Yeah, that was the one I saw. BTW, can you go all the way up to Sacramento
by water?

Yes, or to Stockton. There are deep water channels to both. There's a deep water
cut channel to Sacramento, west of the Sacramento River north of Rio Vista; ships
can take the San Joaquin River itself all the way to Stockton; the two rivers
split at Antioch. Sacramento loads a lot of rice in the port, while Stockton used
to have the Navy Ammo station at Rough and Ready Island, so both routes can take
fairly large ships.

I was checking my AAA atlas last night and didnt realize how close
Sacramento was to SF.

If you'd just come into state a bit earlier and stuck around a bit longer, you too
could have run for governor;-) It takes about an hour/hour and a half from the
East Bay/SF to Sacramento by car, via I-80. We took about 10 hours by ship, but
that's at a max. of 8.5 knots or so, with some dawdling waiting for the tugs to
bring some press types out to us who had to climb aboard by rope ladder, and then
swing us around in the turning basin for docking (we entered the Port with our
dock to our port, but our gangways were on the starboard side, so they spun us
around and we backed alongside the dock).

And now, I think my off-topic posts have been patiently indulged by the other NG
readers long enough, so I'd better quit.

Guy

Old September 5th 03, 11:24 PM
Micbloo

Yeah, that was the one I saw. BTW, can you go all the way up to
Sacramento
by water?

Yes, or to Stockton.

Cool. Thanks.

If you'd just come into state a bit earlier and stuck around a bit longer,
you too
could have run for governor;-)

LOL. Yeah, that did seem to be the major story while i was there. Beats a
blackout we had here.

And now, I think my off-topic posts have been patiently indulged by the

other
NG
readers long enough, so I'd better quit.

Yeah. But at least we weasled in some helicopter material. Thanks again for
all the info.

Gerard
Old September 6th 03, 10:16 AM
Mikko Pietilä

On 02 Sep 2003 15:51:22 GMT, Stan Gosnell
wrote:

"Walter Hawn" wrote in
:

Fixed floats are always in the way when you enter and exit the
aircraft. Serious loss of cruise speed. Memory is 90 kts IAS vs 100,
105 on six-pack. Reduce max gross, 3000 vs 3200 for B3.
Exaggerate pitch and especially roll when you're on boat, rig, or any
surface with motion. Especially boats.
Wally

Or wind. Sit on a pitching barge with about 30 kts of wind with fixed
floats, & you're just about out of control because it pitches so far. It
gets bad on a fixed surface with the wind. Add motion from the surface,
and you often can't crank or shut down.

There are also some problems with everyday maintenance operations.
When moving the aircraft on ground, in and out of hangar etc., it is
very easy to puncture them (This is from personal experience during my
national service years ago. Fortunately it was quite easy to patch
them too. Like patching a bicycle tire.)

Also during winter time they needed adjustment of pressure every time
when moved outside from hangar or back in to prevent sagging when
cooling down to outside temperature or bursting when brought back
inside.

Mikko

Amphib floats question Mr.Twistair General Aviation 1 December 20th 04 08:11 PM
floats coming on and off Robert M. Gary Piloting 9 August 16th 04 08:26 PM
Cherokee on floats Doug Owning 2 March 7th 04 04:08 AM
taylorcraft floats Brad Hrutfjord Owning 3 February 16th 04 11:52 PM
WTB FLOATS David Dawe Home Built 0 August 15th 03 12:24 PM