Rick Stitt strikes again... Please Read.

Old January 7th 04, 07:49 PM
Rocky

"Bob" wrote in message ...
"HOT START" for a turbine engine refers to when DURING the start the maximum
turbine inlet temperature has been exceeded. Subsequent inspection is
required prior to flight. In a piston engine a HOT START PROCEDURE tells
you how to start an already hot engine as when you just shut down and are
restarting...like maybe don't pull the choke? The terms for turbins and
piston engines are not comparable.

Bob

Bob
No argument on that. Perhaps its just a matter of not using the more
correct terminology, or in the right context? An amusing story.....we
were getting an infrequent inspection from the FSDO and one of the
inspectors stuck his head in the cockpit of my Hiller 12ET (Soloy),
looked around and asked where the carb heat control was. I kind of
chuckled at his joke, but it wasn't a joke and he got miffed with me
for laughing!
I didn't bother to try and explain it to him......
Best New Year Regards
Rocky
Old January 8th 04, 12:16 AM
Bob

Yeah...that reminds me of the time I was working my way through my
Aeronautical college one of the world's greatest aircraft mechanics, and I
was pumping more gas than the Arabs. POURING rain when a woman pulls in and
says" fill it and check the engine and transmission oil". Well, being now,
one of the worlds greatest mechanics, I spent about 10 minutes in the
Pouring Rain looking for her Transmission Dipstick. Now frustrated I walked
around the side of her car, looked in at the now impatient customer and
noticed that she had a Standard Transmisstion! I believe that's called DUMB
and DUMBER??? At least the Fed didn't ask you how many degrees of flap you
use to take off.

Old January 10th 04, 04:58 AM
RWC

Dennis Chitwood wrote:
....from R.L. Darling

Mr. Chitwood,

I have been following Rick Stitts misadventures for over a year now.
I have a RotorWay Exec and a Helicycle helicopter and have two friends
with Mini-500's that have the Stitt touch on them. One has had the
re-built cones and transmission and the other has the tranny mods
done.

I've read a bit also. And would very much like to learn more. I'm
trying to find information about it. Every time I ask, I get no answers
or just emotional angry responces, not facts...

Near as I can tell, there was a major "buisness" fall-out, and Rick
Stitts, Bill Phillips, Randy Culver, Dean Fetters, Ken Armstrong, and
Fred Stewart, and Joe Rinke seem to have all been involved. When ever
any of those names comes up, there is more emotion and anger than facts.

I am NOT trolling, but I am very aware this is a troll topic.

I am seriously trying to study if a Mini-500 can be rebuilt to be safe
(defining "safe" in context of experimental aircraft, which it itself is
a tough thing to say).

The first ships owner is Mr. Wayne Qualls....he is a knowledgeable
pilot
and has done his own turbine conversion which has proved successful.
know that he would like to talk to you about Mr. Stitts so he won't
mind
if I let you have his phone number....he too has been bamboozled out
of
thousands of dollars that he can not afford.

The number is xxxxxxxxxxx...this is in Irving, Texas and believe
me....he will welcome your call.

I would be happy to call, because I am considering a Mini-500 Turbine
conversion. And I promise, I'm just trying to figure this thing out. I
just started reading about it 2 weeks ago, and haven't found much about
rebuilding.

Thanks for the incoming comments. We need to stop this guy before
people start dying again. Stitt's turbine startup sequence is WAY
wrong. His method will cost you $$$$$ in turbines , as his method
guarantees hot starts, or a least unnecessary high temps.
D. Chitwood
N500XT

I believe, althought I could be wrong, that I read on Rick Stitt's site
that he has found that the hot starts are not the way to go, and he has
explained himself turbine starts should be done diffrent. To quote his
website:

"This is a Turbine T62-2A being installed into a Mini 500. The radiator
area has be converted to a main fuel tank.

The first conversions done for a mini were direct drive and had one
starter to drive the main rotor system and the engine during the start
cycle. This system did work but many of the customers didn't like the
EGT going over 1300 or 1400 deg F during the start cycle.

The next logical step was to install two starters in parallel. This
reduced the start temp to 1190 during the start cycle.

The Turbine really likes to be started with no load and the following
information is how we reduced the start temp to 650 deg F. with hover at
800 deg F."

Further, Stitt's site has a comlete list of all the fatals in Mini-500s,
and I have read the reports there as well as 9 fatals in the Mini-500 on
the http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB site. (I also read the reports of all 7
fatals in RotorWay Exec's there, but they happened over a longer period
of time). I can not find numbers of RotorWay Exec kits sold, I know
about 550 Mini-500 kits were sold. I can find no real answer to how
many of either of these kits were ever built, or how many hours people
have logged in them. MUCH LESS on Turbine Conversions.

I'm honestly just trying to research this before I buy, build, or
rebuild anything. My big conserns are the weight limits, and the 210
lbs seat limit of the RotorWay, and the 220 lbs seat limit of the
HeliCycle are holding me back from going that direction.

Any information you or anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated
by me at this point. Good, bad, about RotorWay, HeliCycle, Mini-500, or
anything, I don't care as long as the information is factual, not
emotional or trolls.

For referance, here are some good and bad things I have found about the
Mini-500 (other than Stitt's site):

http://www.moneypit.net/~pratt/ambuilt/helicopter.htm (it may be better
to just read NTSB reports insted?)

http://www.kitplanes.com/features/su.../mini-500.html (more
politics and buisness than air-worthy-ness)

http://yarchive.net/air/mini500.html (I found some interesting things
here, and would really appreciate if someone could explain the "RHCI
puts a fixed elevator on the horizontal stab which is deflected down to
compensate for a positive pitching moment in forward flight as the MR
system pumps air down." statement to me, I'm really new to learning
about helicopters in general, and haven't even begun my flight training).

Again, I'm looking for any and all information I can get, hopefully with
explinations not just flames.

Thanks in advance.
Old January 10th 04, 05:29 PM
Dennis Chitwood

RWC wrote in message news:6ELLb.57150$m83.49198@fed1read01...
Dennis Chitwood wrote:
....from R.L. Darling

Mr. Chitwood,

I have been following Rick Stitts misadventures for over a year now.
I have a RotorWay Exec and a Helicycle helicopter and have two friends
with Mini-500's that have the Stitt touch on them. One has had the
re-built cones and transmission and the other has the tranny mods
done.

I've read a bit also. And would very much like to learn more. I'm
trying to find information about it. Every time I ask, I get no answers
or just emotional angry responces, not facts...

Yup, you need to realize that this is one of Stitt's damage control
techniques. Stitt will do his best to create stories that make
possible customers (suckers like me) disregard any positive
information about previous attempts to make the mini safe, and he is a
VERY GOOD con-man (liar). All I can say is that I have BEEN there,
Stitt is an outright fraud and I can easily prove it, in fact I intend
to do so in court. Rick Stitt used to work for Joe Rinke, stole
information from Joe Rinke and then claimed it as his own; however, he
is not a very good copier, and Stitt almost killed me... NOT an
exageration. I am a customer, not involved in the business, however,
I am proud to have a good relationship with Joe now; he is a very
gifted man.

[...]

This is a perfect example of Stitt's misinformation program. the
first mini- 500 turbine conversion was done by Joe Rinke, and it
worked flawlessly. Hot starts were created by those who used Joe's
setup, but did not follow directions at all. They simply did not
understand how it worked and thought they could improve the product.
They failed miserablely, and I have the proof sitting in front of me;
Joe's setup was altered, and then they had the balls to blame it on
Joe. Joe's setup produces a high temp of 836 degrees on startup... I
watched it and measured it myself. Rick's poor copy produces temps as
high as 1050 before he even get the drive on the turbine! Then, you
are lucky to get the drive going without going over 1100 degrees, and
it is very easy to mismanage the turbine settings to drive temps well
over 1300. You can even see this on his site (Randy's startup). Rick
proudly shows the startup temps reaching over 1000 degrees without
even having his drive hooked up... just the turbine standing alone...
wait 'till Randy starts adding the load. Last night, Joe and I
started Joe's entire system with no temps above 550 degrees, just like
he did in 1995.

The next logical step was to install two starters in parallel. This
reduced the start temp to 1190 during the start cycle.

The Turbine really likes to be started with no load and the following
information is how we reduced the start temp to 650 deg F. with hover at
800 deg F."

More misinformation... I was there. Rick's just looking for more
trusting souls that he can rip off. BE CAREFUL.

[...]

You're Welcome,
The truth is alive in Detroit (and now in California!)
Dennis