Our Landing in Meigs Field, four year ago...

Old November 26th 04, 10:12 PM
ThomasH

Default Our Landing in Meigs Field, four year ago...

We saw recently in AOPA news that FAA filed at last some punitive
fines against the City of Chicago for the so unorthodox method of
damaging and closing the airport. This jared our memories, mine
and of my friend, with whom we once traveled across the continent
from California to Oshkosh.

A landing in Meigs was on our schedule. We both are glad that
we stopped there! Incoming shaky weather from the north forced
us to depart from Chicago directly the next day, and so we left
the sunny city and flew into marginal VFR around the arrival
point at OSH. While flying IFR through the wet flatlands, barely
visible through the mist and fog, we were both reminiscing the
skyline, colors, downtown and surroundings of the Windy City.

Once we landed safely at OSH, the usual fascination with this
magnificent show kicked in and we forgot about about CGX...

Later on however, this landing became clearly the most vividly
remembered event from our trip! We both remember the planing
how to cruise through Chicago's class B and how to fly to see
the most of the shoreline on our final leg toward CGX...

And who on final approach encounters 4 aircraft flying in
formation just below you! I just wish the images were of better
technical standard! Kodak's Ektachrome E200 Professional proven
to be such a disappointment to me.

There is, or rather: There was only only Meigs, probably the
most unique airport in the US, if not in the entire world!!

I hope you will like the images:

http://www.pbase.com/thh/2000_07_24_cgx

Thomas
Old November 26th 04, 10:26 PM
Jay Beckman

"ThomasH" wrote in message

SNIP

There is, or rather: There was only only Meigs, probably the
most unique airport in the US, if not in the entire world!!

I hope you will like the images:

http://www.pbase.com/thh/2000_07_24_cgx

Thomas

Thomas,

Great, great, great pics!!!

I'll never get to land there thanks to das "Wintycity Fuhrer" but I can do
it vicariously through your photos. Thanks for putting them on line.

Regards,

Jay Beckman
KCHD
PP-ASEL
Still nowhere to go but up!

Old November 27th 04, 02:45 AM
zatatime

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:12:49 GMT, ThomasH wrote:

I hope you will like the images:

http://www.pbase.com/thh/2000_07_24_cgx

Those are really cool pictures!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Old November 27th 04, 04:13 AM
Jay Honeck

And who on final approach encounters 4 aircraft flying in
formation just below you! I just wish the images were of better
technical standard! Kodak's Ektachrome E200 Professional proven
to be such a disappointment to me.

Thank you, Thomas, for sharing those bittersweet pix with us.

I was lucky enough to fly into Meigs on three occasions. Each flight
was memorable, and ingrained forever in my memories. The time we spent
in Chicago was so enjoyable...I still catch myself daydreaming about
those wonderful flights.

We are poorer as a nation and as a people because of what Herr Daley
did that night. I still can't believe he's walking around a free man.

In any other city in America, a mayor sending bulldozers in at 3 AM to
destroy the city's airport would have resulted in impeachment and
possibly jail time.

In Chicago, it's just "bidness as usual"...

When I worked for the Chicago Tribune, I (and many of my other
out-of-town co-workers) were under the distinct impression that
Chicagoans were the dumbest group of people we had ever met. The fact
that Daley is still in office is just another shred of evidence in
support of this assertion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 28th 04, 01:27 AM
Wizard of Draws

On 11/26/04 11:13 PM, in article
, "Jay Honeck"
wrote:

When I worked for the Chicago Tribune, I (and many of my other
out-of-town co-workers) were under the distinct impression that
Chicagoans were the dumbest group of people we had ever met. The fact
that Daley is still in office is just another shred of evidence in
support of this assertion.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Jay, I work for a small-town newspaper and that seems to be the attitude of
our reporters about our town. Trust me when I say they don't have any reason
to feel superior.

How do I know? One of them was conducting a phone interview with a WWII vet
and asked so many ignorant questions of the man, I'm surprised he didn't
hang up in disgust. For example: he was a sergeant and she asked him if he
was in the navy. She didn't know what or where Pearl Harbor was when he
mentioned it.
One of them did a story on a 16 year old student taking lessons at my flight
school and his first solo. They know I am a pilot. Did they ask me to
proofread the story? Nope. But I was able to skim through it before it ran,
and catch a lot of factual errors. Even then, not everything I pointed out
was fixed.

I've learned that the only information you can trust coming out of a
newsroom is the masthead.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino
Cartoons with a Touch of Magic

Old November 28th 04, 03:35 AM
Jay Honeck

Jay, I work for a small-town newspaper and that seems to be the attitude
of
our reporters about our town. Trust me when I say they don't have any
reason
to feel superior.

I was never a reporter -- I worked in the circulation department. (The
newsroom was populated with some very interesting characters, but none of
them would have known an honest day's work if it had punched them in the
nose. But that's another post...)

And although small-town folk can be ignorant, they are almost never stupid.
They catch on quickly, and will only be suckered once.

Big city people, on the other hand -- especially those who willingly spend
up to 3 hours each day "commuting" -- are, almost without exception,
exceptionally stupid.

What we always found hilarious was that the locals would rail endlessly
about the horrendous traffic, yet would never vote the tollways -- the main
source of their traffic woes -- out of existence. In fact, most Chicagoans
I met supported them, refusing to see that stopping 16 lanes of traffic
every 15 miles to collect 40 cents was the root cause of their misery.

We (those of us who sucked the big city money, but lived in lovely
Wisconsin) always figured that the tollways were a pretty good IQ test,
since any human of passing intelligence would never choose that lifestyle.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 28th 04, 07:43 AM
ThomasH

Jay Honeck wrote:

[...]
What we always found hilarious was that the locals would rail endlessly
about the horrendous traffic, yet would never vote the tollways -- the main
source of their traffic woes -- out of existence. In fact, most Chicagoans
I met supported them, refusing to see that stopping 16 lanes of traffic
every 15 miles to collect 40 cents was the root cause of their misery.

They do this Florida as well. As I was at Sun'n'fun and drove
from Lakeland to Cape Canaveral, I was stopped several times
to pay a quarter or so...

That's why we fly. Nothing enjoys me more than a look of an
avalanche of white and red lights along an interstate, end on
end, when I have my piece up there!

Now serious:
I believe that the issue here is different. Not being involved
with Chicago, I found the city fascinating and people very nice.
However, my friend with whom I landed at Meigs was born in
Detroit and he shares the "anti chicagoan" sentiment here.
They seem to be quite arrogant.

The punch line that only pilots like airports. Most of the
people in Chicago might believe that a new shoreline park
is a cute idea, but this is deceiving. Just imagine how in
gods name shall all the people be able to get there???
I see one giant car jam, maybe they will add one more
toll booth...

Thomas
Old November 28th 04, 02:00 PM
Jay Honeck

If something in Chicago is causing voter "dumbness", it's contagious.

At last report 59 million Americans were infected.

Wow, I knew the Daley Machine was powerful, but did he *really* get that
many votes?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 28th 04, 04:09 PM
Rosspilot

I hope you will like the images:

Thomas, I did--very much. It's a sadness I feel because I never landed there.
I landed at Dupage when I went thru Chicago in 1998.

I am also incredulous that this travesty was allowed to go with so little
result to the perpetrator.

www.Rosspilot.com

Old November 28th 04, 05:00 PM
mike regish

I think your shots are excellent. I'm kind of wondering what you think could
have been better with respect to the film you used. Do you mean just the
formation shots or all of them. I would be thrilled with the results you
got.

mike regish

"ThomasH" wrote in message

And who on final approach encounters 4 aircraft flying in
formation just below you! I just wish the images were of better
technical standard! Kodak's Ektachrome E200 Professional proven
to be such a disappointment to me.

There is, or rather: There was only only Meigs, probably the
most unique airport in the US, if not in the entire world!!

I hope you will like the images:

http://www.pbase.com/thh/2000_07_24_cgx

Thomas

FAA Goes after Chicago on Meigs Orval Fairbairn Piloting 110 September 28th 06 11:59 AM
Sun N Fun Redux Jay Honeck Piloting 26 April 24th 04 01:44 PM
VW-1 C-121J landing with unlocked nose wheel Mel Davidow LT USNR Ret Military Aviation 1 January 19th 04 05:22 AM
Good feeling landing / 200th hour Yossarian Piloting 22 December 23rd 03 12:44 AM
It's that time of year again. Capt. Doug Home Built 19 September 3rd 03 10:53 PM