sneezing while flying helicopter

Old August 15th 03, 11:30 AM
Simon

Default sneezing while flying helicopter

Hi, I am interested in helicopter flying and may book a lesson, etc.
I have a serious question that perhaps is slightly comical.
I have read lots of info, and it seems to me that a sneeze could be
fatal.
I mean, it's dodgy in a car - more dangerous than adjusting the stereo
perhaps.
To the experienced pilots: if you are flying a helicopter on your own,
how do you handle a sneeze without jolting the sensitive cyclic
control of which you must never let go (or so says some info I read on
the R-22).

Thanks,
Simon.
Old August 15th 03, 11:56 AM
Glenn

"Simon" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I am interested in helicopter flying and may book a lesson, etc.
I have a serious question that perhaps is slightly comical.
I have read lots of info, and it seems to me that a sneeze could be
fatal.
I mean, it's dodgy in a car - more dangerous than adjusting the stereo
perhaps.
To the experienced pilots: if you are flying a helicopter on your own,
how do you handle a sneeze without jolting the sensitive cyclic
control of which you must never let go (or so says some info I read on
the R-22).

Thanks,
Simon.

It's a little like juggling a cat and a running chainsaw at the same time
..... it's something you must do very carefully.
HTH

Old August 15th 03, 12:44 PM
Clive

"Glenn" wrote in message
"Simon" wrote in message
om...
Hi, I am interested in helicopter flying and may book a lesson, etc.
I have a serious question that perhaps is slightly comical.
I have read lots of info, and it seems to me that a sneeze could be
fatal.
I mean, it's dodgy in a car - more dangerous than adjusting the stereo
perhaps.
To the experienced pilots: if you are flying a helicopter on your own,
how do you handle a sneeze without jolting the sensitive cyclic
control of which you must never let go (or so says some info I read on
the R-22).

Thanks,
Simon.

It's a little like juggling a cat and a running chainsaw at the same time
.... it's something you must do very carefully.
HTH

I always fly with my right forearm resting on my right thigh. About 20 years
ago flying a 47G I realised I suffered from Hay fever (having landed in a
'cut' corn field)!

I quickly learnt NOT to rest my arm on my leg when sneezing!!! The joints in
the arm/should take out any movement from the torso whilst sneezing.

Very funny at the time though :-)

Clive

Old August 15th 03, 01:15 PM
Andrew Crane

"Clive" wrote in message

I always fly with my right forearm resting on my right thigh. About 20

years
ago flying a 47G I realised I suffered from Hay fever (having landed in a
'cut' corn field)!

I quickly learnt NOT to rest my arm on my leg when sneezing!!! The joints

in
the arm/should take out any movement from the torso whilst sneezing.

Last month I was flying an R44 from Wales to London. I'd just got airborne
and radio'd through for zone transit of some Matz and was given a new QNH. I
leaned forward to change it and caught a wasp between my leg and belly. I
think I climbed a hundred feet or so when the git stung me, but nothing
life-threatening. I spent the next hour of the flight adding "wasp" to my
scan. At least you get a warning with a sneeze.

Regards
Andrew

--
Inweb Networks. Quality internet and telecoms services
Sales: 08000 612222 Support: 08704322222. http://www.inweb.co.uk

Old August 15th 03, 06:29 PM
CW9371

Stan flying helicopters CAN be dangerous. Smoking cigarettes IS fatal.

Just because I care, : )

craig

Errr smoking doesnt kill everyone sooooo it can be fatal should be the correct
comment. Life is fatal. 100 out of 100 people always die lol
Old August 16th 03, 01:26 AM
Mike Williams

My instructors Hughes 269 has an electric cigarette lighter as a standard
fitting in the panel. When I remarked on this he pushed his finger into a
slot and an ashtray popped out. I asked him do you smoke while flying, he
said no, but you can and there is a training available to do so.
From: Stan Gosnell
Date: 8/15/2003 9:11 AM Pacific Daylight Time
... I very quickly learned to light a cigarette
using book matches while flying. (Uncle Sam had thoughtfully provided

free
cigarettes in C rations, & got me hooked on them...
--
Regards,

Stan

Old August 16th 03, 02:51 PM
Chris

One thing I learn from my days flying Hueys- if you're on a check-ride and
the IP asks if it's alright with you if he "lights one up", the answer was
always - sure, go right ahead! It helped immensely on the outcome of that
ride.