Heli disappears

Old September 1st 03, 11:34 PM
C.D. Damron

Default Heli disappears

"dann mann" wrote in message

This has me puzzled. The Coast Guard called off the search after some
great expense I am sure.
Just asking for info. The case just bugs me for some reason.

(hmmm, my original post never showed up)

The underwater environment does not lend itself to searches. I've had
trouble finding a 400 foot ship in 150 feet of water and I knew where the
damn thing was.

What is the search area? A square mile or more? That is a lot of
territory to search for divers. Depending on the composition and terrain
of the ocean bottom, sonar could be useless. Given the possibility of
magnetic detection, the majority of the aircraft is aluminum and fiberglass.

Add some current and that search area increases, hour by hour.

If the aircraft hit the water at a low velocity, it is possible that damage
was minimal (for a crash) and nothing floated to the surface.

Gasoline dissapates pretty well, especially fast if there is a little chop
in the water.

I'm not surprised it hasn't been found.

Old September 6th 03, 03:51 AM
dann mann

I stand corrected. All they ever found of this incident was a single
seat cushion. The Robinson must have just screwed itself right down to
the bottom with out a trace. They made a really big deal out of this
man's demise. Gave up the search after 5 solid days and likely a couple
hundred thousand dollars of expense.
Fly safely guys
Thanks
Dan Peterman

Old September 11th 03, 12:41 AM
Shaber CJ

I stand corrected. All they ever found of this incident was a single
seat cushion. The Robinson must have just screwed itself right down to
the bottom with out a trace. They made a really big deal out of this
man's demise. Gave up the

They found it yesterday. Pilot still strapped to seat. His mother was on TV
and said it helped with the closure, I am sorry for the loss.

And remember guys, we are all hard on pilots that screw up, but given the
right/wrong circumstances we are all capable of a fatal mistake. Listen,
watch, think and learn.

Now stay safe,

craig

snap on tools from heli mech [email protected] General Aviation 0 December 8th 04 07:38 PM
Runout Heli H.J. Restoration 3 November 14th 03 02:21 PM
Updated and Larger Heli Pilot CD hCTzjf Pilot Pubs Products 0 July 28th 03 02:29 AM
heli flying - which would be more fun/useful Schweizer 300C or a Bell 47G Bonanza Man Piloting 0 July 16th 03 03:36 PM
recommendations for a heli school/instructor in nj/ny/pa Bonanza Man Piloting 0 July 14th 03 05:01 PM